SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Support S. 2766, the Clean Boating Act of 2008 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/42198-support-s-2766-clean-boating-act-2008-a.html)

uspirate 04-12-2008 01:29 PM

Support S. 2766, the Clean Boating Act of 2008

Support S. 2766, the Clean Boating Act of 2008

Link to bill
I wrote both Nevada Senators and asked them to vote Yes, here are copies of their responses

From Senator Harry Reid

Dear Mr. J:

Thank you for contacting me about pollution restrictions for recreational boats. It was good to hear from you again.

As you know, since a U.S. District Court found in 2005 that the Environmental Protection Agency is required to regulate certain vessel discharges under the Clean Water Act, some boating enthusiasts have been concerned that the regulations would not distinguish recreational vessels from large, commercial vessels, possibly limiting boating opportunities.

To address these concerns, several bills have been introduced, including the Clean Boating Act (S. 2766). Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) introduced S. 2766 on March 13, 2008. The bill amends the Federal Water Pollution Control Act by requiring the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, in cooperation with the Coast Guard, to review the environmental impact of waste water discharge from recreational vessels, determine the necessity and feasibility of a regulatory framework, and review such a determination at least every five years. S. 2766 has been referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works.

I remain committed to protecting the environmental health of our waterways and to combating the threat of invasive species. Such measures, however, should include every effort to preserve opportunities for recreation. I have taken note of your support for S. 2766, and I will keep this in mind should the full Senate consider the legislation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. For more information about my work for Nevada, my role in the United States Senate Leadership, or to subscribe to regular e-mail updates on the issues that interest you, please visit my Web site at http://reid.senate.gov. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

HARRY REID
United States Senator
Nevada

HR:ct

From John Ensign
Dear Mr. J:

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact me about the Recreational Boating Act, H.R. 2550, and the environment. Your interest in this issue is important to me and I am always grateful to those who take the time to inform me of their views.

The Recreational Boating Act was introduced to restore the exemption for recreational boaters from environmental discharge standards associated with the normal operation of a recreational vehicle. In a recent ruling involving the Clean Water Act, the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals disallowed that exemption, making it necessary for recreational boaters to obtain a permit that will offset discharges emitted from boating engines.

Over 70 million recreational boaters enjoy our nation's waters, and the national economic impact of recreational boating is more than $25 billion each year. While it is important to protect our waterways from needless and damaging pollution, we must also find a balance between environmental needs and responsible recreational activity. As a fellow outdoor enthusiast, I want to find a way to ensure that Nevada families can continue to enjoy their summer activities, while preserving the environment for future generations.

The Recreational Boating Act of 2007 was introduced into the U.S. House of Representatives. This bill will make recreational boats exempt from the ruling of the Ninth Circuit Court. Currently, there is not a similar bill in the Senate. Please rest assured that I will keep your thoughts and suggestions in mind should this legislation come before me for consideration in the Senate.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on matters of importance to you. Should you have any other questions or comments or would like to sign up for my monthly newsletter, please do not hesitate to either write or e-mail me via my website at http://ensign.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

JOHN ENSIGN
United States Senator

JE/BC
i hope everyone will do the same

xort 04-12-2008 02:36 PM

both weasels refused to state whether they actually support the act or not.

Same weasel words words from my representatives. I'm in a coastal district that would suffer greatly from the impending changes if this law isn't enacted. My liberal weasels sent me the same response.

I suspect they are planning on letting this happen so they can charge us more fees

Sailormon6 04-12-2008 03:17 PM

What they should do is permamently exempt recreational boaters from the operation of the act. Why should we have to go to those turkeys with hat in hand every 5 years and beg, "Please, Sir, continue our exemption." It sounds to me like a way to induce Boat US and other recreational boating lobbies to contribute to their campaign funds. Why else would they dangle a Damocles sword over our heads, if they don't really need to regulate us? If they ever decide that they need to regulate recreational boaters, they can pass new legislation at that time. I hope those of you who support big government are paying attention.

buckeyesailor 04-12-2008 05:11 PM

Perhaps a letter asking bluntly where they stand on the bill would be better, so that you can be more clearly informed on how you cast your vote and perhaps campaign (for or against) next time?

lharmon 04-12-2008 05:25 PM

I wrote all my Reps about this legislation even though I have to shower and wash my hands a lot after doing so. Then I followed up by calling their offices. One of my Senators wants to be President. She thinks she will be better than her hubby. The other Senator seems ok as I did not sit on hold for ten minutes waiting to talk with a staffer. Our governor got caught with his zipper down and is now on unemployment. Not nice people. I would not want to hang with any of them.

This was in an e-mail that came around yesterday. This thread kinda made me remember it. It came from a cousin who is pretty good at checking her sources.

Who Are The Bad Guys??
36 have been accused of spousal abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

19 have been accused of writing bad checks

117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71, repeat 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 currently are defendants in lawsuits, and

84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is?

It's the 435 members of the United States Congress

And don't forget about the Senator trying to pick up guys in an airport bathroom.

buckeyesailor 04-12-2008 06:03 PM

and THAT'S the ones that got caught!!!!!!!!!!!

xort 04-12-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyesailor (Post 299222)
Perhaps a letter asking bluntly where they stand on the bill would be better, so that you can be more clearly informed on how you cast your vote and perhaps campaign (for or against) next time?

I sent that e-mail back to my rep, I got no response.

buckeyesailor 04-12-2008 06:47 PM

The biggest problem I have with politicians is that they actually think WE work for THEM!..........

IF enough people wrote/called/emailed the lowlife and reminded them of the pecking order maybe they would get the message.......YOU work for US!, YOU do what WE say....
and either do the job or sign up for unemployment.........

The second biggest problem is they think we will just give up and say "we tried, but they are just too powerful for us"......and they're right........that's what we do......

I was involved with an issue many years ago......we DIDN'T give up......we badgered them with everything we had........and we won.......

It just takes tenacity and an attitude of NEVER, EVER giving up......