Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
I read somewhere that as long as you do not use anything attached to the boat, you are in the clear...
As long as you poop directly into the water, you are not using your boat... you are not breaking any laws.
How do lobster men do it? Do they adhere to different laws?
Do commercial fishermen have to comply with the MSD regulations?
Well, you might get arrested for indecent exposure...but not by CG.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
I have heard it said that boaters contribute less than 1% of the pollution in our waters. I would further observe that the boats are relatively widespread so that the small amount they do produce is more easily absorbed into the eco-system - hey, fish poop, ducks poop, etc. etc. The vast majority of the pollution comes from runoff from farms and lawns and sewage from cities which is not treated to specs. So we boaters save it, pump it out legally, it all gets collected, treated, then dumped back in the water - all in one place! The whole idea seems ludicrous.
The problem is that when it is demanded that something be done, it is difficult, expensive and politically inexpedient to legislate the cities, farms, and the lawn fertilizer industry, so the boater becomes an easy and inexpensive target. All the regulators pat themselves on the back, all the politicians point to their record of pro-active legislation and the problems continue.
We need to rise up, cast off the yoke of political oppression,exercise our right to poop with reckless abandon. In other words, bucket and chuck it for our freedom, for the very salvation of the world, for God and country.

Lip service for all.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-20-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Larry&Susan
On this Sunday morning an AMEN is appropriate. Sing it brother!
Old 04-20-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaliasvejas View Post
I read somewhere that as long as you do not use anything attached to the boat, you are in the clear...
As long as you poop directly into the water, you are not using your boat... you are not breaking any laws.
Well, technically you are not breaking any discharge laws, which refer to the use of Type I, II or III marine sanitation devices. If you do not use a marine sanitation device you cannot violate a law regulating its use. That's not to say that you might not be violating some other law, but you won't be violating the MSD laws.

That being said, anybody who knowingly violates the MSD laws is an a**hole, IMHO. Anybody advocating violation of MSD laws is an a**hole as well. The effluent from a single discharge from a single boat can contaminate an entire marina. And I earn my living in the water in that marina. So keep your sh*t where it belongs, please.
Old 04-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, using a bucket, qualifies as a MSD of a sort...and if you empty the bucket over the side... you've broken the law... The law is written such that if you use any equipment... other than what God gave you... you're breaking the law...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The law is a discharge law. In other words, you can't polute no matter how you do it. Having equipment hard piped to discharge through-hulls just makes it easier to prove that you broke the law. As to the original post, I believe that there is an exception for gray water such as engine cooling water and sink discharges on small boats as long as you are not discharging cooking or engine oil with it.

I agree that this law seems draconian when you consider how small the yachting discharge is relative to the amount of discharge from farms, municipalities, birds, fish etc..... That is until you anchor someplace like St.Michaels or Shaw Bay on a holiday weekend and watch the kids swimming off of boats in the harbor.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

Quote:
BTW, using a bucket, qualifies as a MSD of a sort...and if you empty the bucket over the side... you've broken the law... The law is written such that if you use any equipment... other than what God gave you... you're breaking the law...
"Bucket and Chuck it" is just a joke - sheesh! Are we allowed to scooch along the deck to clean the , um, nether region? Then can we rinse the deck of the pelican poop? ANd incidently anything else?
Quote:
That is until you anchor someplace like St.Michaels or Shaw Bay on a holiday weekend and watch the kids swimming off of boats in the harbor.
You let your kids swim where fish poop? And then let them back aboard? Yuck.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 04-22-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I could pump out at sea if I wanted, but I've found it no problem to pump out at a station. If I wanted to stay gone for a longer period of time, I would put in a larger tank. I don't have a problem with disposing of our waste in a better way, but if we are required to do that, then I think the powers to be should provide us places to do that...so we can comply.
Old 04-22-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

We have an electra-san in our aft head and I'm installing one in our forward head - anybody else out there in favor of Electra-san?

We have a friend who recently installed one of those composting toilets. He says they had five on board for a week and it worked great. Any experience with those?

Air Head Dry Toilet: Marine Composting Toilets - Environmentally Friendly Marine Composting Toilet System

Old 04-22-2008

pbanderson is on a distinguished road
Black water in Puget sound

I just moved my boat to Puget Sound..... I have direct discharge valve on boat on black water system.... does anyone know if this is a problem that I can be fined for?