SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Do they make new sailboats anymore (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/42298-do-they-make-new-sailboats-anymore.html)

m2736185 04-16-2008 03:19 AM

Do they make new sailboats anymore

I have noticed that the sailboat market is filled with older boats... Most of them seem to be from the 70's. Is there any reason for this? Now as far as size, are sailboats made less often in present time ?

sailaway21 04-16-2008 03:25 AM

Lots of sailboats are being made. You might be seeing a preponderance of older boats because the old luxury tax of the early 90's put a lot of companies out of business.

CBinRI 04-16-2008 06:58 AM

Also, unlike cars, boats can last for a very long time. With a maintained diesel engine, they have a very long lifespan.

TrueBlue 04-16-2008 10:02 AM

Not an endorsement (g), but the majority of new production boats on Narragansett Bay seems to be Catalinas. Just like Hyundai's, they're everywhere you look. I suppose this is due to the perceived value of these coastal sailboats and the fact that most weekend sailors don't stray too far offshore.

Personally, my preferences lean toward more quality built, offshore capable boats. But without the disposable income to afford new models from this caliber, I settle for the older models. This is the best value in my mind, since they have gone through their highest depreciation curve, typically age better and are usually well maintained by their prior stewards.

sailingdog 04-16-2008 11:22 AM

There are plenty of new boats... but you're generally not going to see them in smaller marinas. Many of the boat companies are focussed on making and selling larger boats, since the profit margins is larger on the larger boats. One of the big reasons you see so many older boats is that boats are pretty long-lived. This was one of the major factors that helped put a lot of the smaller boat builders out of business--since they couldn't compete against the market created by their older, used boats.

buckeyesailor 04-16-2008 11:27 AM

I can vouch for the fact that they ARE making new ones......
I'll bet it wasn't two weeks ago....a salesman tried to sell me one!

Fstbttms 04-16-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m2736185 (Post 300895)
I have noticed that the sailboat market is filled with older boats... Most of them seem to be from the 70's. Is there any reason for this? Now as far as size, are sailboats made less often in present time ?

Seriously? Of course there are more older boats for sale- they've only been building fiberglass sailboats for 50 years. So logic would dictate that at any given time there would be many, many more of those boats on the market than relatively new boats because there are so many more of them to begin with. :rolleyes:

Cruisingdad 04-16-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue (Post 300981)
Not an endorsement (g), but the majority of new production boats on Narragansett Bay seems to be Catalinas. Just like Hyundai's, they're everywhere you look. I suppose this is due to the perceived value of these coastal sailboats and the fact that most weekend sailors don't stray too far offshore.

Personally, my preferences lean toward more quality built, offshore capable boats. But without the disposable income to afford new models from this caliber, I settle for the older models. This is the best value in my mind, since they have gone through their highest depreciation curve, typically age better and are usually well maintained by their prior stewards.

I almost took the bait... almost. To quote Sailaway,... no, I won't say it. I will ignore this thread... I will ignore this thread... I will ignore this thread...

- CD

max-on 04-16-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue (Post 300981)

TB, lets be serious, the key word is "perceived value", and Catalina owners mostly do not leave the dock nevermind 'stray too far offshore', lets just call them a grill carrying dock condo with a sailing potential, which very rarely will be used!!! :p

Giulietta 04-16-2008 03:46 PM

I like Catalinas..in fact I rather sail a brand new or recent Catalina or Dufour or Beneteau than an old sailing shoe....

I smile when I read about those that prefer a 1234 Valiant, or a 1677 Passport or even a pre-Colombian Cabo Rico...

the pre concieved idea that a 5 foot thick hull (because the old building procedures and methods were so archaic and since they didn't know better, layed layer over layer of glass to achive ridgidity by increasing thickness) is a better boat because it's hard as a tank makes me smile too...seem to forget these older boats sail like shoes...good on diesel...

Not to mention 1980's Tayanas (G)