Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008

m2736185 is on a distinguished road
Do they make new sailboats anymore

I have noticed that the sailboat market is filled with older boats... Most of them seem to be from the 70's. Is there any reason for this? Now as far as size, are sailboats made less often in present time ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Lots of sailboats are being made. You might be seeing a preponderance of older boats because the old luxury tax of the early 90's put a lot of companies out of business.
Old 04-16-2008

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Also, unlike cars, boats can last for a very long time. With a maintained diesel engine, they have a very long lifespan.
Old 04-16-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Not an endorsement (g), but the majority of new production boats on Narragansett Bay seems to be Catalinas. Just like Hyundai's, they're everywhere you look. I suppose this is due to the perceived value of these coastal sailboats and the fact that most weekend sailors don't stray too far offshore.

Personally, my preferences lean toward more quality built, offshore capable boats. But without the disposable income to afford new models from this caliber, I settle for the older models. This is the best value in my mind, since they have gone through their highest depreciation curve, typically age better and are usually well maintained by their prior stewards.
Old 04-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are plenty of new boats... but you're generally not going to see them in smaller marinas. Many of the boat companies are focussed on making and selling larger boats, since the profit margins is larger on the larger boats. One of the big reasons you see so many older boats is that boats are pretty long-lived. This was one of the major factors that helped put a lot of the smaller boat builders out of business--since they couldn't compete against the market created by their older, used boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
I can vouch for the fact that they ARE making new ones......
I'll bet it wasn't two weeks ago....a salesman tried to sell me one!
Old 04-16-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2736185 View Post
I have noticed that the sailboat market is filled with older boats... Most of them seem to be from the 70's. Is there any reason for this? Now as far as size, are sailboats made less often in present time ?
Seriously? Of course there are more older boats for sale- they've only been building fiberglass sailboats for 50 years. So logic would dictate that at any given time there would be many, many more of those boats on the market than relatively new boats because there are so many more of them to begin with.
Old 04-16-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Not an endorsement (g), but the majority of new production boats on Narragansett Bay seems to be Catalinas. Just like Hyundai's, they're everywhere you look. I suppose this is due to the perceived value of these coastal sailboats and the fact that most weekend sailors don't stray too far offshore.

Personally, my preferences lean toward more quality built, offshore capable boats. But without the disposable income to afford new models from this caliber, I settle for the older models. This is the best value in my mind, since they have gone through their highest depreciation curve, typically age better and are usually well maintained by their prior stewards.
I almost took the bait... almost. To quote Sailaway,... no, I won't say it. I will ignore this thread... I will ignore this thread... I will ignore this thread...

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-16-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
TB, lets be serious, the key word is "perceived value", and Catalina owners mostly do not leave the dock nevermind 'stray too far offshore', lets just call them a grill carrying dock condo with a sailing potential, which very rarely will be used!!!
Old 04-16-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I like Catalinas..in fact I rather sail a brand new or recent Catalina or Dufour or Beneteau than an old sailing shoe....

I smile when I read about those that prefer a 1234 Valiant, or a 1677 Passport or even a pre-Colombian Cabo Rico...

the pre concieved idea that a 5 foot thick hull (because the old building procedures and methods were so archaic and since they didn't know better, layed layer over layer of glass to achive ridgidity by increasing thickness) is a better boat because it's hard as a tank makes me smile too...seem to forget these older boats sail like shoes...good on diesel...

Not to mention 1980's Tayanas (G)

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-16-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.