Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2002

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
New nvdz

How this thread got from restricted zones around U.S. Navy ships to how to stop wars and how to deal with alleged despots is beyond me.

However, in an attempt to get it back on track - I recently read a brief article in Sail Magazine that decribed and illustrated the levels of restrictions around Naval vessels, bases, and other facilities covered by the restrictions.

Basically, there are two zones. The outer perimeter (from 100 to 500 yards from the vessel) is a "no wake" zone. The inner perimeter (0 to 100 yards from the vessel) is a "do not enter" zone.

Considering recent events, and the fact that we ARE at war, I personally don''t think the new restrictions are a problem. Naturally, if your ability to maneuver in and out of your slip is severely hampered as a result of the new restrictions, then I would advise that you make your case to the USCG and local Naval base Commander. I''m sure some accomodation can be reached.

~ Happ sails to you ~ _/) ~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2002

New nvdz

Correction:
The article is in the July issue of BoatU.S. pp 16-17.

Also, according to the article, "For boaters in an area where the channel does not allow such clearance, skippers need to contact the ship on channel 16 with a request to pass within 100 yards."

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 08-03-2002

colehankins is on a distinguished road
New nvdz

Ok letís say that you donít request a 100-yard passage in a narrow channel (just for arguments sake) what is the penalty for not having a VHF? Are you now in violation of federal law? Is it a felony? Are you going to be strip searched and sent to Cuba as a military prisoner? Is the slow speed within 500 yds so we can take better aim and increase decision time to blow you out of the water? I donít think my wake is going to put a navy boat on the dock, or spill a coffee. Are you going to have access to a lawyer unlike the others? (Not that it will help anyone but the lawyer) Will my boat be confiscated? Will the prodding help my constipation? Yes i am full of it. For the people by the people. Try to remember that!
Old 08-03-2002

New nvdz

I think using "common sense" goes a long way when dealing with the case you mentioned.

I''m sure that if you are almost 100 yards from a vessel that you''re supposed to stay clear of, that you could find a way to communicate with it.

Since you already said you operate out of Norfolk, I happen to know that you can get in touch with the base Commander or OD BEFORE you get underway.

To put things in another light, what should the watchman do if he sees an unauthrized boat aproaching his ship and is now within the 100 yard perimeter? Remember, he does not know if the lives of his crewmates are potentially at risk. Also remember, we ARE at war.

If my son was on that ship, and you violated the DO NOT ENTER ZONE without prior permission - well, I hope you have plenty of life insurance for the loved ones you will leave behind.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 08-11-2002

colehankins is on a distinguished road
New nvdz

Yep its official, I saw a sign in the marina office about the Navy no float zone today and it says slow speed no wake within 500 yds and no aproach within 100 yds or its a felony with a 6 year and $250,000 fine possible. The sign didnt have any statute or cfr or usc numbers on it. It didnt say who posted it or who was going to enforce it. BUT, it sure looked official. What if the navy sails next to your moored boat?