Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Air travel with knives?

We''re leaving next Wed for our BVI charter, so I decided to check the American Airline website for baggage rules. The site listed knives of any length as being prohibited, even for checked baggage.

I called to speak to a real person, and after much ado, was told that modest length knives in checked baggage were OK. The employee volunteered to push for a change to the website since it was inaccurate. [of course, I bet I could call back and get a different answer, so who knows what''s really "accurate!"]

So, my question: have any of you checked baggage with knives in them?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Air travel with knives?

Duane,

I flew late last year on a business trip and things could''ve changed since then, but yes, I always travel with a Swiss Army knife in my suitcase. (It does come in handy.) The blade is about the same size as a rigging knife. At least back then I had no problems with the knife in my checked baggage.
Old 05-30-2002

fer@fer is on a distinguished road
Air travel with knives?

Funny indeed.

Couple of years ago, I stepped in a UA flight with a handbag. I carry my hammer with me. A very nice one.

The girl asked me to leave my hammer at the check in desk. SInce I refusded, she handy called a 7 feet guy, who tried to convince me to leave my beautiful hammer.

After minutes of discussions, since hammer are not forbidden in the luggage, they agreed to Fedex it back to home.

I flew in first class in an international flight, and guess what:

The stewardess provided all the passangers with two forks, two spoons, and two knives. Everything was stainless steel.

And I believe UA as well as other airlines catter their passangers with stainless steel cuttlery. >Which indeed can produce more harm than a small rigging knive, or my hammer.

Regards
Old 05-30-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Air travel with knives?

I flew SouthWest over Mother''s day weekend with a full sized leatherman and my Swiss army knike pocket knife in my checked in baggage. They wanted to take my little folding Swisstech pliers that are on my key ring that I was carrying in board. I got searched in depth going both ways. They even had me open my belt and metal button on my jeans and remove my shoes. I left a dime in my pocket and had to go through more detailed search turning my pocket inside out. I sincerely thanked them for being so thorough.

Jeff
Old 05-30-2002

Wega24 is on a distinguished road
Air travel with knives?

You are kidding right ?

Nothing which even looks like a knife. Period

get that name of that person who told you such rubbish and get her fired...

Not as much as one of those nailclippers at the keyring is allowed. No hairpins.
Of course the days of metal ( or any by that matter ) knifes and forks are LONG over.

I hate to be rude, but get a life. Put all that stuff in the checked baggage.

Thorsten

Dont believe me ? You ARE going to miss that flight.
Old 05-30-2002
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor
Air travel with knives?

Wega, I think all references were to checked baggage, you need to re-read the replies.
Old 05-31-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Air travel with knives?

All:

Thanks for sharing your recent experiences.

Fer-Fer:

We''re all wondering why you carry a hammer.

Wega/Thorsten:

Your reply was meant to help me avoid a big problem at the airport, I''m sure, but you really do need to read the posts more carefully before you expound so vehemently. Of course, we''re talking about CHECKED baggage.

Thanks again,
Duane
Old 05-31-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Air travel with knives?

I''ve taken the bulk of my entire toolbox back and forth to Maine from the Virgin Islands a couple of times, including several knives (rigging, work, etc.) grinders, sanders and most anything you can imagine for sailing and doing boatwork. The only problem I''ve had is a near-fistfight on the tarmack on Puerto Rico after carefully watching out windows (via Pan Am) from Bangor, Maine, to San Juan, with a stop or two in between, for my two coolers full of live lobsters. I watched them loaded onto a Cape Air flight we were boarding. Then, as we approached the plane, they yanked both coolers and set them aside so a Cape Air employee could catch a free ride to St. Thomas. I wanted my luggage, wife, anything left behind and got nothing but threatened (by Cape Air employees and thumb-in-rib wife). They came in on the next flight, but I never left the counter in St. Thomas until they arrived. Mmmmmmmmmm. Time to head north again, soon. And take the nonstop from Boston.
Old 05-31-2002

colehankins is on a distinguished road
Air travel with knives?

My money clip that was given to me by my aunt 8 or 9 years ago has a blade and file for nails in it was confiscated by a security lacky in an airport. She yelled out CCA, CCA and the national guard came running over to see what was going on. I was not allowed to board the plane with it. Upon boarding the plane one of the gate attendants for southwest(MY FAVORITE) asked how i was doing. Well i told her about my story and she said she would try to get it to the baggage claim and for me to check on my return flight after Xmas. IT WAS IN BAGGAGE CLAIM. I thought i would never see it again. I didnt have time to get the attendants last name but i did write to southwest(my favorite) and thank them. I wonder if any airport security has found anything in shoes other than broamadrosis?
Old 05-31-2002

Wega24 is on a distinguished road
Air travel with knives?

OH MY GOD... excuse me excuse me excuse me

Indeed I should have read your post more carefully... maybe the word "even" in checked baggage made my head spin .. maybe it was after 3 hours writting html code for a website, in the middle of the night ....but NO excuses....

I am so sorry ... but in reality I wanted to help you , not to get in trouble...

Of course you can check knifes in the checked baggagge...

Sorry again and blushing with a red hed ...

Thorsten