Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Strictly Sail Pacific opinions

Just a couple of thoughts about the show. Smaller this year, or maybe just more spread out because of the tent configuration. Seemed like less boats though. I didn't look at too many boats because I have seen most of them already. So heres my likes and dislikes about the show:

Coastal Navigation Seminar- Learned a couple good things, well thought out and informative. Obviously there is tons of information that could have been taught, but he narrowed it down to some basic information, without being too confusing.

Pineapple Sails Musto Gear - Full line to try on. Only 10% off, and at over $1000 for the top of the line stuff, it would have been nice to be 15% off if you bought tops and bottoms. I tried on all of the top of the line stuff from all of the manufacturers. In my opinion, Musto HPX was far better than any brand, including Slam. I am just talking design and fit here, not longevity.

Valiant - Best boat in the show. Attention to detail. Solid construction. Top notch materials. Built and customized to order.

Fiorentino Para Anchor / Run or ride out storm seminar - Okay, so this guy Zach tested drogues and parachutes and designed his own called the Shark Drogue. He also gave the run or ride storm seminar. It offers a lot of good info about all types of sea anchors. What I liked is that he said that he designed the shark by taking what he thought was the best parts and combining them to make his. What he didn't do was to give an hour lecture about why his was better. I liked that. His lecture was very impartial. Nice guy.

Dislikes:

Catalina 375 - I hadn't seen this one before, so I thought I would check it out. Ugh, what a nightmare. This is Catalina's first attempt at using the cheaper materials that Beneteau and Hunter have been using for a while, and they failed miserably. Very cheap and plasticky, seams didn't line up, finishes weren't consistent. I was very disappointed in them. If this is the route that Frank Butler is going to take, it will not bode well for the future of Catalina. Immediately after looking at the 375, I went onto one of last years Catalina models and the difference was huge.

Slam ocean wave gear - For all the hype it gets, I didn't see why. Just trendy I guess. Basic things like the collar being too short and the hood being too small, so you couldn't really cover your face.

Cruising Yachts charter seminar - Typical broker mumbo-jumbo, non-specific lawyer/politician speak. No serious answers, no numbers, no hard details. Don't waste your time.

Thats it for now.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 04-19-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I'm going to the show tomorrow; sorry for not seeing your "meet-up" post Bob. If Simon needs a ride down to the show I'm going out to Berkeley in the AM; I'll call him in the morning.

This year's show is a bit dis-organized. I looked at the flyer and there was no time/date listings for the seminars and they highlights were all the same stuff as last year; so I did not plan to attend the show on the weekdays. Now I look at the website and there are several seminars that I would have liked to go to; like the coastal/offshore seminars etc.

I agree; there are not many "boat show" deals. Mostly just product display and light discounts on products the mfr is selling direct (at higher than their own wholesale). I just don't understand why such a great "boat show" has so little being sold (aside from new boats). The only guy trying to sell something is that annoying dude that sells the super-absorbent cloth sponges; and by the looks of it he's raking it in. Everyone at the show is looking for good deals but there is very little to be had IMHO.... Am I wrong or ??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook