Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008

KRCSWO is on a distinguished road
J22 spinnaker ring height on mast?

I have a small 20ft daysailor that I am rigging for a spinnaker. This boat is used for cruising daysails, and occasional weekend camping type trips. I have a spinnaker off a J22, a pole and all the rigging complete except I have to mount the spinnaker pole ring onto the mast. I'm trying to figure out where this should be mounted, I don't want to go through the trouble of rigging a sliding ring car onto the mast.

Since my ISP dimension is the same as a J22 ISP dimension the spinnaker should work fine and the top of the sail should be at the same height as on a J22. That leaves only the location of the mast ring in question. Does anyone know how high off the deck the ring is located on a J22?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRCSWO View Post
I have a small 20ft daysailor that I am rigging for a spinnaker. This boat is used for cruising daysails, and occasional weekend camping type trips. I have a spinnaker off a J22, a pole and all the rigging complete except I have to mount the spinnaker pole ring onto the mast. I'm trying to figure out where this should be mounted, I don't want to go through the trouble of rigging a sliding ring car onto the mast.

Since my ISP dimension is the same as a J22 ISP dimension the spinnaker should work fine and the top of the sail should be at the same height as on a J22. That leaves only the location of the mast ring in question. Does anyone know how high off the deck the ring is located on a J22?
No I don't, but I can tell you how to find out:

1. Pick a day when you're tied up to the dock (or on the trailer) with very little breeze.
2. Hoist the spinnaker to it's full height with at least one sheet attached and let the whole thing flap in the breeze.
3. Pull one of the clews into the mast and mark the spot where it touches - that's where (roughly) the ring needs to be.

A short sliding track is useful (we've got one on our boat) but is never used enough on a small boat to warrant the trouble of fitting it.

A couple of hints for good measure:
- If you plan to rig the pole up the front of your mast, fit another ring up the top so you can clip the pole out of the way when not in use. Don't just rely on the topping-lift to hold it in place - believe me, it doesn't work.
- If you pick a larger size ring than needed, you can clip your halyards to it.

Have fun!

Last edited by Classic30; 04-21-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook