Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road
reinventing one's self again

First time here . Hi everyone . A whim has begun to take on a life of it's own . As a young man I was a merchant seaman , worked offshore some on small boats , & went sailing twice . Then I became a single parent when my son was 9 months old so I went back to the ranch in Montana & raised my child . More recently I have found myself adrift in life & dreaming of the sea . Little over a month ago I put my house up for sale & started looking for a boat . Then the notion started growing a life of it's own . My brother who runs 2 shipping ports called & offered places for a boat either in Gulfport Mississippi or Freeport Texas . Then a cousiin called & said she has a place on Cobb Island , & my son called , who lives on lake Michigan to ask if I wanted him to research a route along the east coast to him . Then my uncle called who has a place in Barataria Louisiana to offer his dock to me . Now this guy in his 70's could have gone to work for NASA & we'd have put a man on the moon in 59 instead of 69 . I think he went to like the 8th grade in school but there's nothing he cant build , fix , invent , conjure , or dream . What I expected to hear was alot of.......are you NUTS !!!!!!!!!!!! So I've narrowed my choices to about 8 boats in Florida & Texas & I'm beginning to anticipate my 1st problem is going to be moving a boat from either Florida to Texas to my uncle's in Louisiana . Any ideas anyone other then hiring it out , which to me seems way too easy albeit maybe more reasonable , for a notion as whimiscal as this but which seems to on it's way to fruition .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Why not use the ICW as much as you can and move the boat there yourself. By the time you get there, you'll know full well, if this is just a whim, or that sailing is for you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2008
Orange is the new black.

Hi there Freesail . If ICW in any way means doing it myself.......I will be . Don't know what I may have been asking for in my post . Maybe just practical advice , but if I have to go 10 miles out in the Gulf & turn left......ahhhhh.....port , until I see something I recognise , then I guess that's what I'll be doing . My old gray haired dad used to say , " The helping hand you seek is more often then not at the end of your own arm . " Anyway....thanks for responding & glad to meet you .
Old 04-21-2008

Your welcome, what kind of boat do you own and do you have a chartplotter ? The use of a chartplotter makes it a bit easier to know when to errrr turn left.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2008
Orange is the new black.

Just have a short list of boats I'm considering......a 32 & 36 DownEasters......a couple of Endeavours that are in good condition....and a endeavour center cockpit that looks really good.......about 8 altogether that I've looked at in Florida & texas.......won't do anything until my house sells......they go pretty quick here though
Old 04-21-2008
Orange is the new black.

dang it...erred again....anyway.....I am familiar with GPS as I'm a surveyor by trade......so I'm hoping I can figure out where to tuen left.......handling the boat will be the tricky part for me
Old 04-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
dang it...erred again....anyway.....I am familiar with GPS as I'm a surveyor by trade......so I'm hoping I can figure out where to tuen left.......handling the boat will be the tricky part for me
With that being said, I strongly suggest you take some sailing classes, ASA 101 be a good place to start.
Old 04-21-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Take your time, do a LOT of research, dig around for owners websites of the boats you are considering. There is quite a bit of info on just about every boat out there.

As for bringing it home, if you have the time to sail it yourself, great. But consider hiring an experienced captain to help you, at least part way. Depending on draft, you may have to avoid the Big Bend area which will require an overnight.
Old 04-21-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
If you're looking for very good, but inexpensive courses - look into joining the U.S. Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary. I actually can't personally vouch for the CGA but the USPS is excellent. Good luck and maybe we'll see you out there. Have fun!

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 04-21-2008

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
reinv

Where in fl & where in tx.Icw mostly motor from applac to galv I know.