Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
sorry to hear hope it works out!
Old 04-23-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
That sucks. I lived in western Colorado (Glenwood Springs) until we moved to the VI 3 years ago. The quality of life in that part of the state has really declined since the gas drilling really picked up along with some of the unsavory characters who came with the boon. The increases of petty crime and drug busts were telling of bigger things to come. The economic growth was great but there were plenty of negatives too. What a beautiful part of the country. Where do you live?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Take a look at NPPA or WEVA for relatively good insurance rates on professional photographic gear of your type & value.

I'm a few steps up in my pile of gear and I am paying over $1500/yr for insurance.

Homeowners policies have always had the sort of exclusion you ran into. Plus they expect you to itemize anything of extrordinary value. If anyone out there is an ametuer photographer with a lot of gear, you'd better have a chat with your insurance agent. They'll probably only give you $500 worth of coverage and have some restrictions as to where the coverage is good and not.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-24-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Did I say Pond shop?? Gesh! now you know how often I go to a "pawn" shop.

But if you find the prep. I will not notice you using a 5 pound maul on his hands... Nope Didn't see it. And all that screaming? I thought that some one had stepped on a cat's tail.
Old 04-24-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Ages ago, my friends and I rented an off-campus house in college "out in the country" where folks didn't lock doors and thought us cityfolk were paranoid about that. We asked the landlord it he would mind if we secured the glass in the front door, putting up a panel behind it so no one could smash it in. (Big panel.)

Later that year the local PD started warning residents of smash-ins and telling them to LOCK THEIR DOORS. And the landlord said we wouldn't have to take the extr apanel down when we left, it was now a Very Good Thing.

Burglars and junkies know, the pickings are easier in the 'burbs. If you don't have a moat and drawbridge...it pays to lock up and be a bit paranoid today.
Old 04-24-2008
It's 5 O'clock somewhere

kccollbran is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
That sucks. I lived in western Colorado (Glenwood Springs) until we moved to the VI 3 years ago. The quality of life in that part of the state has really declined since the gas drilling really picked up along with some of the unsavory characters who came with the boon. The increases of petty crime and drug busts were telling of bigger things to come. The economic growth was great but there were plenty of negatives too. What a beautiful part of the country. Where do you live?

I live near Powderhorn Ski Resort (Mesa). You are right about the unsavory characters. What's amazing is so few people are caught, I don't know if it's because law enforcement is overwhelmed, or they just don't try.
Old 04-24-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
I second the pawn shop opinion. Found my car stereo at one a week after it was stolen. I didn't have the serial number though and it was insured so I didn't go down that road, but it was there...

MedSailor
Old 04-24-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I feel your pain, 3 yrs ago had someone steal most of my nikon gear and my laptop out of my truck at a gas station is less than 5 mins, passenger door was locked, but the window was down 6", first $8500.00 cup coffee I ever bought, Lucky for me ( I guess ) I had my backup in for cleaning or it would have been more.

But hell, at least I did drop them OB

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-24-2008

dcherau is on a distinguished road
That earlier reference to a marine rider, or floater as they are sometimes called, is a good idea. Years ago in the 60's I was working as a freelance photographer in Boston and I was able to cover my gear with such a marine floater, which was added to my homeowners policy. The cost was reasonable, 10% of the total declared value, paid annually. Best of all was the mysterious disappearance clause. That meant not having to prove that my stuff was stolen, which can be a tedious and uncertain process. In addition my equipment was covered right up to the full value as listed when insured , 100%, not some lesser amount determined by an insurance adjuster. This inventory and valuation was updated yearly which meant I always had a list of all serial numbers, as did my agent.

Incidentally it is known as a marine floater because it came into use originally to cover people's belongings while they were at sea, back in the halcyon days of transatlantic liners.
Old 04-24-2008
It's 5 O'clock somewhere

kccollbran is on a distinguished road
I've sent out a complete list of the stolen items to all pawn shops in western Colorado. I've contacted ebay and craigslist as well and they both have gotten communication going with the local cops who are investigating this.