Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Kevin -

Sorry about the loss. If there is a piece of advice I can offer you will be the following text.

My Grand Cherokee once got broken into. No major deal you would think - but apart from the broken area of where the stereo was in the dash - what was amazing was that they jacked my already lifted Jeep and stole all the tires. Literally, I came to the shop in this sleepy hollow of a town I lived in in PA - to find that they used my tool cases to prop up the vehicle - no tires it sat suspended.

Insurance immediately stated they would not cover the costs of the tires because they were "add-ons". I am not exactly one when I pay for something (ie insurance) to be told "No- not covered". I went manager to manager to their managers and made such a ruckus that eventually they saw no way out of not paying for the loss. My argument was that they had to cover it because since it was lifted - that the proper tires and rims had to be there for safety reasons otherwise I was I liability waiting to happen. I got compensated for the tires, rims, stereo, plus additional that insurance granted me due to the lack of proper diligence in the processing of the claim.

My advice to you - is to do the same. I used to be an insurance adjuster, and I can tell you first hand that claims are settled for the least amount possible without regard - as most people take that as being the "word". Its not, and if you are persistent enough, go enough levels up - you'll get due diligence and a satisfactory outcome.

But you will have to be the aggressor in this and remember " the word 'No' is not a option".

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Bummer...Must have been watching you load the stuff...My wive got her new Leather jacket riped off in a Safeway parking lot last year..She noticed a kid sitting in the car net to her as she got out and went into the store..sure enough car was slim jimed open when she returned..

The Proper term is an "Inland Marine" rider but even thoes will have individual limits...for example....I have to list my welder,cutting torch' etc...separately from hand tools in my service truck in order for them to be fully covered. I would guess High dollar photo gear would need to be individually listed also..

Most people are under insured as far as there homeowners polices go..Mostly due to two factors 1) Appreciation and 2) lack of understanding limits of coverage. Thoes guns ,artwork and jewliery you have....500.00 total unless itemized and paid for on an individual bases...I use to collect Guns...No more as the insurance to cover each one of them got out way of hand so I sold them..

Last edited by Stillraining; 04-25-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-28-2008
It's 5 O'clock somewhere

kccollbran is on a distinguished road
Update: Major Loss!

Hi Everyone,

this is an update to my loss. My insurance company, has seen fit to pay for the loss of my gear, at replacement cost, less depreciation. They have also agreed that if my replacement costs are equal too or exceed what they have costed to reimburse me the difference.

It doesn't change the fact that some piece of slime is still out there with my stuff. But the fact that my insurance company is trying to work with me helps. Too bad they don't do boats (see my S.O.S. thread).

I want to thank everyone that Private Messaged me with advice and all of the support I received on this thread.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old 04-28-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
at least some good news today. the dirtbag that took your stuff probably pawned it for less than $150.00...suks huh? but glad to hear the good news.

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM