SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Major Loss!

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
While this may not apply to the majority of you, some of the Sailnet members may be in my area or have relatives in my area.

MAJOR LOSS!

Yesterday, I was planning a shoot at a wild game ranch located near me. I live in a little Rocky Mountain town (pop. 308), great neighbors, everyone leaves there homes unlocked, in case the neighbor needs a cup of sugar or whatnot. It’s the kind of town if you want to get, you have to know how and want to get here. I loaded my gear in the back seat of my truck, went back in my house, finished getting ready to go, about 45 minutes, locked up the house, got in the truck, looked behind me to back out of the driveway and all of my gear was gone! My truck was parked 15’ from my front deck! The local police say there is little chance of recovery, as we have many transient oil field workers through here and western Colorado has a major Meth problem. My insurance company told me that because the equipment is considered business/professional equipment and was not being used at a business/professional location, it would be valued under my deductible of $500, WHAT!
So someone, in a few seconds time wiped out my ability to earn a living.

What really sucks, is that next Wednesday, I was leaving for 3 weeks in Mexico, partly vacation, but also to shoot for submission to various websites, can you say, no pay day?

What I’d like to ask is, if any of you who may be in an area close to me, happen to notice anyone with high-end new Canon or nearly new Canon photo gear please contact me, this stuff is not what a normal hobbyist photographer uses.

Camera #1 - Canon EOS 5D w/battery grip
Camera #2 - Canon EOS 20D w/battery grip

Camera #3 - Bonica underwater camera and flash

6 – 4 GB CF Cards
4 – 2 GB CF Cards

1 - Canon Remote Switch

1 - Canon 580 EX w/ transmitter
1 - Canon MR 14 EX Ring Flash
1 – Metz 45CL-4 Handle mount flash with battery and charger

3 - Tiffen Filter kits

Bogen Mono Pod

2 – Bogen Tri-pods

Canon Lenses

EF-S 17-55 mm
EF-S 60 mm Macro
EF 70-300 Telephoto
EF 28 mm wide angle
EF 70-200 mm f 2.8 IS USM
EF 2X II Teleconverter
EF 135 mm f/2
Sigma Fisheye 15 mm f/2.8

Cameras #4 and #5 - 2 - Sony HDR HC5 Camcorders and batteries.

1 – Pelican 1544 wheeled camera case, Silver
1 – Pelican 1524 hardcase, Silver
1 – Canon Backpack camera case, green and black
1 – larger Blue Canvas Bag, 48”X18”X24”.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry you got ripped off. That really sucks... You might want to search eBay or Craigslist for your gear. You might get lucky.

#6 ·
you might want to post on canonites.com or fred miranda. if it was transients you may want to check pawn shops locally and a few towns away.
can you claim it under your homeowners policy as stolen property from your residence?

#7 ·
sorry guy....ain't insurance compannies great

I had the same thing happen to me a couple years back.....all my surveying gear stolen from my rig in Billings Montana....my business insurance had some lame excuse & wouldn't cover it . Oddly enough they said I had to have " marine rider " to cover it . Why have insurance ??? You pay....they bail if anything happens .

#9 ·
Sorry to hear about your recent loss. Devastating wouldn't begin to describe it, I'm sure. I hope you are able to recover your gear.

My old car broken into before and I found out that "personal"/"business" property losses incurred by theft from the vehicle are usually covered by homeowner's (or renter's) insurance. Actual damage to the car and attached towed trailer items are covered by auto insurance. I don't know how business insurance works though.

#10 ·
I know how you feel - it's like a kick to the stomach. Four years ago I left our house for a business meeting returning a few hours later to a front door kicked in and the place ransacked including my laptop with all my work.

In addition to checking the pawnshops, you might also put an alert out to the camera shops in your general area. I also like the idea of watching Craigslist, etc.

Regarding insurance companies, was it Mark Twain who wrote they are eager to rent you an umbrella as long as they can ask for it back when it rains.

#12 ·
That sucks. I lived in western Colorado (Glenwood Springs) until we moved to the VI 3 years ago. The quality of life in that part of the state has really declined since the gas drilling really picked up along with some of the unsavory characters who came with the boon. The increases of petty crime and drug busts were telling of bigger things to come. The economic growth was great but there were plenty of negatives too. What a beautiful part of the country. Where do you live?

#16 ·
That sucks. I lived in western Colorado (Glenwood Springs) until we moved to the VI 3 years ago. The quality of life in that part of the state has really declined since the gas drilling really picked up along with some of the unsavory characters who came with the boon. The increases of petty crime and drug busts were telling of bigger things to come. The economic growth was great but there were plenty of negatives too. What a beautiful part of the country. Where do you live?
I live near Powderhorn Ski Resort (Mesa). You are right about the unsavory characters. What's amazing is so few people are caught, I don't know if it's because law enforcement is overwhelmed, or they just don't try.

#13 ·
Take a look at NPPA or WEVA for relatively good insurance rates on professional photographic gear of your type & value.

I'm a few steps up in my pile of gear and I am paying over $1500/yr for insurance.

Homeowners policies have always had the sort of exclusion you ran into. Plus they expect you to itemize anything of extrordinary value. If anyone out there is an ametuer photographer with a lot of gear, you'd better have a chat with your insurance agent. They'll probably only give you $500 worth of coverage and have some restrictions as to where the coverage is good and not.

Sorry for your loss.

#14 ·
Did I say Pond shop?? Gesh! now you know how often I go to a "pawn" shop.

But if you find the prep. I will not notice you using a 5 pound maul on his hands... Nope Didn't see it. And all that screaming? I thought that some one had stepped on a cat's tail.

#15 ·
Ages ago, my friends and I rented an off-campus house in college "out in the country" where folks didn't lock doors and thought us cityfolk were paranoid about that. We asked the landlord it he would mind if we secured the glass in the front door, putting up a panel behind it so no one could smash it in. (Big panel.)

Later that year the local PD started warning residents of smash-ins and telling them to LOCK THEIR DOORS. And the landlord said we wouldn't have to take the extr apanel down when we left, it was now a Very Good Thing.

Burglars and junkies know, the pickings are easier in the 'burbs. If you don't have a moat and drawbridge...it pays to lock up and be a bit paranoid today.

#18 ·
I feel your pain, 3 yrs ago had someone steal most of my nikon gear and my laptop out of my truck at a gas station is less than 5 mins, passenger door was locked, but the window was down 6", first $8500.00 cup coffee I ever bought, Lucky for me ( I guess ) I had my backup in for cleaning or it would have been more.

But hell, at least I did drop them OB

#19 ·
That earlier reference to a marine rider, or floater as they are sometimes called, is a good idea. Years ago in the 60's I was working as a freelance photographer in Boston and I was able to cover my gear with such a marine floater, which was added to my homeowners policy. The cost was reasonable, 10% of the total declared value, paid annually. Best of all was the mysterious disappearance clause. That meant not having to prove that my stuff was stolen, which can be a tedious and uncertain process. In addition my equipment was covered right up to the full value as listed when insured , 100%, not some lesser amount determined by an insurance adjuster. This inventory and valuation was updated yearly which meant I always had a list of all serial numbers, as did my agent.

Incidentally it is known as a marine floater because it came into use originally to cover people's belongings while they were at sea, back in the halcyon days of transatlantic liners.

#21 ·
Kevin -

Sorry about the loss. If there is a piece of advice I can offer you will be the following text.

My Grand Cherokee once got broken into. No major deal you would think - but apart from the broken area of where the stereo was in the dash - what was amazing was that they jacked my already lifted Jeep and stole all the tires. Literally, I came to the shop in this sleepy hollow of a town I lived in in PA - to find that they used my tool cases to prop up the vehicle - no tires it sat suspended.

Insurance immediately stated they would not cover the costs of the tires because they were "add-ons". I am not exactly one when I pay for something (ie insurance) to be told "No- not covered". I went manager to manager to their managers and made such a ruckus that eventually they saw no way out of not paying for the loss. My argument was that they had to cover it because since it was lifted - that the proper tires and rims had to be there for safety reasons otherwise I was I liability waiting to happen. I got compensated for the tires, rims, stereo, plus additional that insurance granted me due to the lack of proper diligence in the processing of the claim.

My advice to you - is to do the same. I used to be an insurance adjuster, and I can tell you first hand that claims are settled for the least amount possible without regard - as most people take that as being the "word". Its not, and if you are persistent enough, go enough levels up - you'll get due diligence and a satisfactory outcome.

But you will have to be the aggressor in this and remember " the word 'No' is not a option".

#22 · (Edited)
Bummer...Must have been watching you load the stuff...My wive got her new Leather jacket riped off in a Safeway parking lot last year..She noticed a kid sitting in the car net to her as she got out and went into the store..sure enough car was slim jimed open when she returned..

The Proper term is an "Inland Marine" rider but even thoes will have individual limits...for example....I have to list my welder,cutting torch' etc...separately from hand tools in my service truck in order for them to be fully covered. I would guess High dollar photo gear would need to be individually listed also..

Most people are under insured as far as there homeowners polices go..Mostly due to two factors 1) Appreciation and 2) lack of understanding limits of coverage. Thoes guns ,artwork and jewliery you have....500.00 total unless itemized and paid for on an individual bases...I use to collect Guns...No more as the insurance to cover each one of them got out way of hand so I sold them..

#23 ·
Update: Major Loss!

Hi Everyone,

this is an update to my loss. My insurance company, has seen fit to pay for the loss of my gear, at replacement cost, less depreciation. They have also agreed that if my replacement costs are equal too or exceed what they have costed to reimburse me the difference.:D

It doesn't change the fact that some piece of slime is still out there with my stuff. But the fact that my insurance company is trying to work with me helps. Too bad they don't do boats (see my S.O.S. thread).

I want to thank everyone that Private Messaged me with advice and all of the support I received on this thread.

Thanks again,
Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.