Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008

NYCSailor84 is on a distinguished road
Long Island Sound Marinas along the railway

I currently live in Manhattan, and just purchased a 1979 Tartan 27. I am looking to keep the boat at a marina on the Long Island Sound that is located near either a LIRR or Metro-North train station (I don't have a preference at this point as to which side of the Sound I am on). I won't have a car, so I would like to find someplace that is a short walk from the station. Any suggestions?

The boat is currently located up on the Hudson. I know that I can easily keep it on the Hudson and be close to the Metro-North station; however, I would prefer to be on the LIS.

I appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Oyster Bay Marine Center is right across from the train station.
Oyster Bay Marine Center in New York, United States.
biggest problem on LIS will be to get a slip or mooring at ANY price.
Other towns where train station is less than 1 mile to marinas:
Port Washington, Manhasset
Port Jefferson is about 2 miles from the station.
Another thought if you are only sailing on weekends...take the train ALL the way out on the north fork to Greenport and enjoy both the sound and Block Island and the protected waters of Shelter Island and the Peconic Bay.
Obviously...this is a long train ride but worth it for a real vacation at the end of every week.
Claudio's Marina in New York, United States.
Old 04-24-2008

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Oyster Bay Marine Center is right across from the train station.
Oyster Bay Marine Center in New York, United States.
biggest problem on LIS will be to get a slip or mooring at ANY price.
Other towns where train station is less than 1 mile to marinas:
Port Washington, Manhasset
Port Jefferson is about 2 miles from the station.
Another thought if you are only sailing on weekends...take the train ALL the way out on the north fork to Greenport and enjoy both the sound and Block Island and the protected waters of Shelter Island and the Peconic Bay.
Obviously...this is a long train ride but worth it for a real vacation at the end of every week.
Claudio's Marina in New York, United States.
Oyster Bay Marine Center (Oyster Bay Marine Center) is nice and probably has moorings, but the train schedule to Oyster Bay, especially on weekends, is very limited. Tradeoffs for the bad train schedules include decent restaurants, pretty anchorage and a decent yard if you need work done. Port Washington has par better trainschedules and you should be able to find moorings a short cab ride away.

Coneys in Huntington (Coneys Website) often has moorings in Huntington, but also a short cab ride away. There are clubs in Sea Cliff (Sea Cliff YC), Glen Cove (Hempstead Harbour Club and Glen Cove YC), but all also require a cab ride from the train station and are on the Oyster Bay LIRR branch. I'd look into City Island and perhaps Westchester (Mamaroneck, New Rochelle?).
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook