Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Dinghy registration???

Question: Does the tender (i.e. dinghy) to a federally documented vessel require a separate state registration?

I've been operating for years under the assumption that it does not -- if it is used only for transport to and from the vessel it is carried aboard. I've never had a problem in US or foreign waters. Am I correct or have I just been lucky?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I do believe it really depends on the state. If it has a motor many states require it. That is what NJ told me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2008

WuWei is on a distinguished road
Yes. Wu-Wei is documented, but we have had to register the dink in the state of Florida every year. If it has a motor, you must register it. Having a motor makes it a vessel, regardless of size or the mothership.

Now, if your dink has no motor (inflatable, fiberglass, wood, or kayak), then, no, you are not required to register it regardless of your vessel being documented.
Old 04-24-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
Same in California, everything with a motor must be registered with the state regardless of mothership's papers.
Old 04-24-2008

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
Registration

In California every vessel with a motor, regardless of length, and every sailboat over 8 feet has to be registered. Boats only using oars or paddles are exempted, as are boats used for racing only.
Old 04-24-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Billy,

My understanding is the same as yours, i.e. the tender to a federally documented vessel is exempt from state registration requirements regardless of whether it has a motor or not.

The catch, however, is that a "tender" is defined as a vessel used exclusively for transporting the crew of the documented vessel directly to and from shore. No diversions or excursions are permitted. So if you plan to putter around all over the place in the dinghy for joyrides, and it has an engine, the exemption doesn't apply and most states will require a separate registration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-24-2008

ccam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Billy,

My understanding is the same as yours, i.e. the tender to a federally documented vessel is exempt from state registration requirements regardless of whether it has a motor or not.

The catch, however, is that a "tender" is defined as a vessel used exclusively for transporting the crew of the documented vessel directly to and from shore. No diversions or excursions are permitted. So if you plan to putter around all over the place in the dinghy for joyrides, and it has an engine, the exemption doesn't apply and most states will require a separate registration.
Billy, John,
Last Summer we were stopped by the CG in Bellingham Bay and thats exactly what the PO said to us. "no diversions or excursions without registration" We took her back to the boat.
1984 HC 33T #61
Old 04-24-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
As a follow-up to my previous post, this is what it says in the FAQ section of the USCG Vessel Documentation Center:

Quote:
IS THE VESSEL TENDER DOCUMENTED?

Documentation of your vessel does not cover the vessel's tender or dinghy. These craft fall within the jurisdiction of the motorboat numbering laws of the state of principal use. Please contact your state agency that handles the registration or numbering of motorboats for further information.
HOWEVER, this is what the Code of Federal Regulations at Title 33: Navigation and Navigable Waters, has to say:

Quote:
§ 173.13 Exemptions.

Where the Coast Guard issues numbers, the following classes of vessels are exempt, under Section 12303 of Title 46, United States Code, from the numbering provisions of Sections 12301 and 12302 of Title 46, United States Code, and this part:

(a) A vessel that is used exclusively for racing.

(b) A vessel equipped with propulsion machinery of less than 10 horsepower that:

(1) Is owned by the owner of a vessel for which a valid certificate of number has been issued;

(2) Displays the number of that numbered vessel followed by the suffix “1” in the manner prescribed in §173.27; and

(3) Is used as a tender for direct transportation between that vessel and the shore and for no other purpose.
So the exemption, if it exists at all (??) would only apply to a motorized dinghy of less than 10hp.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-25-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
A number of boaters with tenders without state registration have been ticketed in Rhode Island waters in recent years. I was told they had to appear in court - just couldn't mail in the fine. Hearing that, I immediately registered my inflatable.
Old 04-25-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Hmm...definitely different stuff here, but now that I'm federally registered in Canada, I should check this out.

I do know one thing: putting "T/T Your Boat's Name" on the bow of the inflatable or dinghy might help you identify it in a row of beached tenders, but it also tells potential thieves that you are not currently aboard the main boat. This is why we've named our uniquely with no (easily visible) identification with the main boat. We've also relied on colour schemes and the fact that neither tender is an inflatable to help us find each other in the harbour and on shore.

A Portabote, for one thing, may be a capable cargo mover and rowboat, but it looks cheap and unappealing, as does our boat (in part due to its intrinsic "fish boat" lines, but also because I want it to look "not new"). I hope this will deter as least in part boat robberies. Deck-coloured tacks and electrified hatches should do the rest....