Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Deleting something that is not off topic, or offensive is rude regardless of what gender said it or where it was said. The post was informative and the person who deleted it was wrong to do so.
Had the person who deleted the post read it, he/she would have realized that the comment was a good one. That is why I agreed with the post, but I was also deleted.
Deleting the post based on the assumption that it was posted by a man and therefore inappropriate is clearly prejudice.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217

Last edited by Plumper; 04-25-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2008

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumper View Post
..Deleting the post based on the assumption that it was posted by a man and therefore inappropriate is clearly prejudice.
Clarification: The moderator thought the herSailnet forum rules were "for women ONLY to post" and was enforcing the rules as he understood them at that time.

CLEARLY, just doing his job.

Got an uproar, asked for clarification, rule changed. DONE! Just doing his job.
Old 04-25-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I've posted there a couple of times. One was for womens opins on life jackets, I said what spouse and daughters thought of the ones they wear and why. The other was in response to a women that inherated a boat at my marina, had to say it looked very sad the day it came in, but now, WOW is a good way to put it!!

At this point in time, personally, I feel CD probably went a bit to far and quick at the deletions. Mrs Jimmy, probably should have signed it mrs Jimmy if she did not! The two have gone a bit overboard in there needs watns to quit! Both are right and wrong IMHO. Not that it matters.

If CD has teh ability, I know I do moderating another forum at least this large if not larger, over 200K reg names etc. I can delete, go back and see what was deleted, changed etc, even if by the OP, and C&P back to what was there etc if need be. CD should do this along with his apology that has been done.

To have it females only answering there, even for a question like this, what if the replyer had been an OBGYN or other equal medical field personell , but male? HIS answer would not have counted, yet he has as much or more knowlege on said subject than most of us.

As far as moderators go, I have no issues with either of the two, but do feel, if it would help them, like the other forum I do, splitting up the forums such that there is one or two mods per forum would help, and EA area has its own mods. with maybe CD and Cam if one will be the overall mods that have powers in ALL forums, the others, only in there area.

My opins for what how they count, now, lets get back to sailing etc.

marty
Old 04-25-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
I think the larger issue here is why is CD spending so much time in HerSailNet? I've reviewed the thread in question and he's gone so far as to post repeatedly and he's done it inside other people's threads. Talk about jumping to the front of the line...

I actually think the idea of a HerSailNet is a pretty good one and, while I can understand James/Kathy/Carrie's feelings, I would encourage them to consider how "Jimmy" posting in that thread might be a little bit confusing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
I once had a boss that said, "If you are not pissing someone off once in a while you are probably not doing your job!" CD and Cam, I am sorry to hear that you are getting crap off line and that people have a need to get in your face because you are doing your best at your job. Based on my old boss, I guess you are doing it well.

That being said, this is the INTERNET!. If they don't like how we play they need to pick up their marbels and go away. Don't sign on to the site. Delete it from your favorites. Whatever, nobody here will be calling to get you to re-subscribe. In most cases we don't know who you are anyway so we can't find you that easy. If you have shared your personal information it must have been for a reason, and in that case if you don't want the call...don't take it.

So, Jimmy seemed like a nice guy. Why yell out that you are going away? Why ask someone else to pick up your marbles for you? Go to your information and delete.

Bottom line, I think we need to go back to the first paragraph in the original post. Mission accomplished!

Oh, CD and Cam, you are doing a great job!!!!!!!!! If you were perfect they would have to pay you...which I think they should in some way find a way to do anyway!
Old 04-25-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
After reading CD's post, and having been in a moderator's shoes, myself, I am not currently inclined to suffer fools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb116 View Post
So she did only to be deleted, now she is pissed and if you knew my wife that’s not good.
I would respectfully suggest that perhaps on-line forums are not for her if one such incident, and such a minor one, at that, has gotten her that riled-up. You, or your wife, or the both of you are more than making a mountain out of mole hill. Y'all are making an entire mountain range out out of less than an ant hill.

Quote:
She is big on equality and “Quote” (doesn’t think she needs to prove she has breasts to any man in order to be allowed to post).
Don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but that remark gives me the distinct impression it's more like she's big on attitude and just looking to exercise it.

Quote:
Our profile was clear that we were a family 1 man 1 woman 1 kid
Then perhaps y'all, as a family, should have chosen a screen name that was reflective of a multiple personality, rather than one that any reasonable person would reasonably assume was indicative of a male individual? (Btw: If your wife is so "big on equality," why didn't she make herself equal to you, Sailnet-presence-wise, by getting her own login and screen name?)

Quote:
she feels the moderators should have asked if it was her or I
Damn those overpaid moderators! Fire the lot of 'em, I say!

Quote:
“quote” (not just assumed the second class citizen wouldn’t be posting) ...
So... she thinks the Sailnet community or Sailnet's moderators think she's a "second class citizen"... because she's a woman?!?! Heh. "Attitude issues" confirmed, in my view.

It is unfortunate your enjoyment of Sailnet, and the knowledge, experience and wisdom that can be gleaned from its many, many generous and helpful participants will apparently now be lost to you, all because your wife has chosen to take umbrage over a trivial mistake that is at least 50% your (and by "your," I mean the both of you) fault. C'est la vie. *shrug*

Fair winds.

Jim
Old 04-25-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
After reading CD's post, and having been in a moderator's shoes, myself, I am not currently inclined to suffer fools.

I would respectfully suggest that perhaps on-line forums are not for her if one such incident, and such a minor one, at that, has gotten her that riled-up. You, or your wife, or the both of you are more than making a mountain out of mole hill. Y'all are making an entire mountain range out out of less than an ant hill.

Don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but that remark gives me the distinct impression it's more like she's big on attitude and just looking to exercise it.

Then perhaps y'all, as a family, should have chosen a screen name that was reflective of a multiple personality, rather than one that any reasonable person would reasonably assume was indicative of a male individual? (Btw: If your wife is so "big on equality," why didn't she make herself equal to you, Sailnet-presence-wise, by getting her own login and screen name?)

Damn those overpaid moderators! Fire the lot of 'em, I say!

So... she thinks the Sailnet community or Sailnet's moderators think she's a "second class citizen"... because she's a woman?!?! Heh. "Attitude issues" confirmed, in my view.

It is unfortunate your enjoyment of Sailnet, and the knowledge, experience and wisdom that can be gleaned from its many, many generous and helpful participants will apparently now be lost to you, all because your wife has chosen to take umbrage over a trivial mistake that is at least 50% your (and by "your," I mean the both of you) fault. C'est la vie. *shrug*

Fair winds.

Jim
I'm Sway21 and I approve of the above message.
Old 04-25-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
I'm Sway21 and I approve of the above message.
Right ON! Isn't it time for this thread to die a timely death?
Old 04-26-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Aha ! So that's what happened.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 04-26-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Fuzzy....shhhhh! we're trying for a timely death!