Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Deadly Shark attack this morning

This happened this morning just a short way up the coast

Quote:
A group of nine swimmers entered the water near Fletcher Cove at about 7 a.m. for a morning ocean swim, according to Lt. Mike Clea of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. They swam northward, and while they were swimming, a 66-year-old man was bitten on both thighs, Clea said.

Other swimmers looked back and saw the man flailing before he was pulled under the water, Clea said. Witnesses said the victim was screaming when he resurfaced. Several other swimmers came to his aid and pulled the man to shore.

Lifeguards arrived and a helicopter ambulance was called, but the victim bled to death on the beach. Paramedics pronounced the man dead at 7:50 a.m., Clea said.

Helicopter video showed lifeguards, firefighters and police gathered at the main lifeguard station in Solana Beach. What appeared to be the victim's body covered by a yellow tarp was visible under a portable shade structure behind the headquarters.

Officials did not immediately release the name of the victim, but they said he was a member of a local triathlete club called SD Tri Club.

Lifeguards did not know what kind of shark attacked the man, but they speculated that it was a great white. They closed the beaches around Solana Beach to swimmers for several hours. The water was reopened before noon, but officials are strongly recommending people to stay out of the water from Solana Beach north to Carlsbad, NBC 7/39 reported.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
They've since determined it was a Great White due to bite size.
Old 04-25-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Tragic indeed, and condolence to the family and friends. I'm one who occasionally like to swim parallel to the beach, out past the breakers. But when we do, we're no longer on the top of the food chain. Early morning, and early evening, I've heard are risky times for swimming, though they're mostly the times that working people can manage.
Old 04-25-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I've lived in San Diego all my life (born here), and I've surfed and dived just about the whole coast at one time or another. Only once have I heard of someone dying from a shark attack at La Jolla, and even then it was thought to be a stunt to collect insurance money...a body was never recovered. To hear that a shark actually attacked someone along our coast is truly amazing, but I know that in the back of my mind it's always a possibility. The more dangerous sharks are farther out away from the coast, because that's where their food source is, and close in to shore there are the harmless sharks...seen them many times. This person has to be one of the most unlucky people alive, because I'll bet that won't happen again in decades.
Old 04-25-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post

The more dangerous sharks are farther out away from the coast, because that's where their food source is, and close in to shore there are the harmless sharks...seen them many times.
Gawd, don't believe that for a minute, they are where they food is, thats true, but a main source of food, especially for pregnant females is seals & sea lion and you know where they are, hell there's a haul out just south of Solana beach.

So Ca coast is a birthing area, and I would bet this was a female, possible pregnant, and this poor soul looked like natural prey and being the last in a group, he was probably mistaken for injuried prey

Quote:
This person has to be one of the most unlucky people alive, because I'll bet that won't happen again in decades.
I agree, but I wouldn't bet on not happening again in the next 10 yrs

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-26-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
It's a fish... We are mammals... Why everyone gets upset when fish tries to eat us? I mean we are in their water... Fair game...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 04-26-2008
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Gawd, don't believe that for a minute, they are where they food is, thats true, but a main source of food, especially for pregnant females is seals & sea lion and you know where they are, hell there's a haul out just south of Solana beach.
Haul out?...what do you mean by that?

I noticed that profile says Kona Kai...is that where your boat is in San Diego? If so we're neighbors, as our boat is at Shelter Island Marina.
Old 04-26-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Haul out?...what do you mean by that?
Marine mammals "haul out" for a little R&R. Mate, give birth, sleep, socialize etc., etc.
Old 04-26-2008

JiffyLube, yes, I'm at the Kona Marina section of kona Kai, we got in here last Oct as LA's, prior to here we were in Dana Point for 14 months......my wife absolutely loves it down here......as do I

BTW or FYI San Diego now ties Monterery for 3rd in hot spots for shark attacks on the California coast, Humbolt and Marin are 1st and 2nd respectively,

Humbolt is 12 - 0.... Marin is 11 - 0... both San Diego and Monterery are 10 - 2

Personally I think 10-2 should be #1, but it's not my stats

Old 04-27-2008
Grasshopper

Quote:
JiffyLube, yes, I'm at the Kona Marina section of kona Kai, we got in here last Oct as LA's, prior to here we were in Dana Point for 14 months......my wife absolutely loves it down here......as do I
My wife loves it too. Heck, we should meet up sometime.

Quote:
BTW or FYI San Diego now ties Monterery for 3rd in hot spots for shark attacks on the California coast, Humbolt and Marin are 1st and 2nd respectively,

Humbolt is 12 - 0.... Marin is 11 - 0... both San Diego and Monterery are 10 - 2

Personally I think 10-2 should be #1, but it's not my stats
I must have checked out the same site you did, but I found as going through the stats they conflicted in the odds page...but an attack is an attack. When I said that it would probably be decades before that happened again, I meant to say before someone dies from an attack. I know that there have been non-fatal attacks in San Diego mainly to divers and surfers (although rare), but fatal attacks have been even rarer.

Before this man got killed there has only been news on two others being killed in San Diego that I can remember. One was a male diver off La Jolla around 1959, and the story was that his diving buddy saw him get swallowed by a white shark. Rescue divers went out to the area and tried to find anything to confirm what the buddy diver said, but nothing was found in the area. Something was found 'up current' from the sight which was suppose to belong to the dead diver (I think it was a swim fin and mask), but the story going around at that time was that the divers death was possible a stunt for insurance money...and no body or body part was ever found. I was a kid when that happened, and was just learning how to dive. In the diving circle in particular that was the talk of the town, and I remember the older divers talking about it often.

There was another fatal attack reported in the mid 90's I think, about a woman that died from a shark attack off Pt. Loma. The story going around on that one was that she was murdered, and thrown in the water to fake a drowning. She had a bite on one of her legs, but no one could say that's what killed her.

So really in all of the recorded history of San Diego, there has only been one confirmed death by a shark...that I know of.