Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear it. Be careful and have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2009

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
I am probably stating the obvious if you have family in Fredericton but sail right up the river. The Digby yacht club has a yearly crossing where they cross the bay and go up the saint john to grand lake. You could join them for your first crossing to help with tide timing and the reversing falls. I will be doing it next year.
Old 08-13-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Congratulations on the boat and good luck on your voyage.

I hope to some day make a crossing with our C36 to Yarmouth from Portland or further north if we find that's more prudent. I think N.S. is where I initially caught the sailing bug. My wife and i were touring NS on Harley's and did a Sunset cruise on a schooner out of Lunenburg and I think that's where I contracted the incurable sailing infection. Never had any sypmtoms prior to that but somehow got the uncontrollabe urge to buy a sailboat a short time there after.

Around Lunenberg is a beautiful area and I want to visit it next from the deck of my boat. I'd at least want to make it as far around as Lunenburg and Mahone Bay but that goal is a LONG way off for me.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-13-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2009

ccollins0601 is on a distinguished road
Getting around Cape Sable Island may be the most challenging part of your trip. I did Shelburne to Portland ME a few years ago and that was the most harrowing part for us. Haven't dealt with the Fundy tides though.

Sounds like fun! Good luck.
Old 08-13-2009

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBN506 View Post
I am probably stating the obvious if you have family in Fredericton but sail right up the river. The Digby yacht club has a yearly crossing where they cross the bay and go up the saint john to grand lake. You could join them for your first crossing to help with tide timing and the reversing falls. I will be doing it next year.
Here's a vid of those reversing falls he speaks of:

When people say there's a big tide swing up there, they mean it.

The HP rule up there is 50 HP per every 1,000 lbs.
Old 08-13-2009

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
Their are jet boats that go over reversing falls both ways. Sailboats (and most other boats) have to wait for slack tide. Slack tide is when the tide isn't higher or lower then the Saint John river about 15min twice a day I think. At that time reversing falls is passable by a sailboat.
Old 08-27-2009

halmanmike is on a distinguished road
Passage from Yarmouth to Jonesport Me

My GF and I recently crossed from Yarmouth NS to Jonesport ME in 22 hours on a Halman 27. At that point in the Bay of Maine the tides are a factor but not like further up the NS or New Brunswick coast. Have a plan, good charts, tide books, chartplotter with the correct charts including tides and a good relaxed crew and you should be fine. That having been said don't psyche yourself out. The coast guard was calling for information that boats may have heard from that were missing all night. We did see whales, porpoises played around the boat, we saw sharks, birds all the way. It was a great trip with fog all the way as well. Depending on the fishing season the NS coast may or may not be out at all. Don't expect any facilities to speak of even at the more popular destinations. Lockeport Harbor NS was the only harbor we stopped at that had fuel and floating docks. Lunenburg NS we carried fuel to the boat in a can. Bring a can with you. Also the canadian chart chip we had ended on Jonesport, ME if you plan on sailing south or north make sure you are not into another chop because of the International Border. Finally note the depths listed on Canadian charts are more conservative than the depths listed on US charts.
Old 08-27-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
We have been through the Reversing Falls 25+ times. An average of four slacks in 24 hours with 20 minutes to go through an area that takes five minutes. Here are some pictures going through during slack water.

Picasa Web Albums - Rik - Reversing Falls

Rik

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.