Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008
H27 "Shady Lady"

Greenman is on a distinguished road
Halifax NS to St John NB - Bay of Fundy

Does any one have much experience sailing the Bay of Fundy? What sort of trip is is from Halifax to St John, and would a Catalina 27 be worthy to make the trip in half decent hands (which I am not at the time, I am just curious).

Thanks
Old 04-25-2008

AtlanticBryan is on a distinguished road
I can't say that I know much about Fundy, Greenman. I've sailed down the south shore from Halifax - you wouldn't have any problems with a 27 footer there, so long as you watched the weather. (I'm sailing a 32, and a super lightweight one at that.)

If you don't get any response here, why not give the Saint John Yacht Club a try?
Heading home to Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I have been in NB, since October, and let me tell you, from what I Have seen, sometimes it makes hair grow in your chest..

I wouldn't go to far with a 27 foot there unless I was pretty sure the weather window.

They have sometimes tides up to 30 feet span. And a lot of traffic sometimes.
Old 04-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Also, there can be tremendous fog in that area. The two times I crossed that patch the fog reduced visibility to about half the length of the ferry. For the entire distance. Radar would be desirable.

Beyond that, I think a summer crossing in a properly equipped and ably crewed Catalina 27 would be manageable. Obviously you wouldn't sail directly from Halifax to Saint John, but hug the N.S. coast up to about Digby or so, then cross in ideal weather. Distance would be about 40 nm. File a float plan with the Canadian C.G.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-26-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
I have sailed from Saco, Maine, to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, and back to Bar Harbor, Maine, on a 23-foot trailer sailor. I've also sailed from Portsmouth, New Hampshire, out around Nova Scotia to Ile St. Pierre and Newfoundland (non-stop), and from Halifax back to Portsmouth non-stop, aboard a Cape Dory 36. In both cases, we were crossing the Gulf of Maine and not the Bay of Fundy, but they are similar.

It should be fine in a 27-foot keel boat. From Halifax around to Yarmouth or Digby is pretty much "coastal" sailing, which could be done in day hops, then you would cross the Bay of Fundy to Grand Manan or the New Brunswick shore, which shouldn't be much more than an overnight (if that), so you can easily pick your weather. The tidal range and currents in the Bay of Fundy are significant, to say the least, and something you need to pay attention to, but should be manageable. Fog likely will be an issue, so you'll need to be prepared for that. Good Luck and Have Fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 04-26-2008

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
contact the Dartmouth Yacht club, google them and send email to Kurtis, he will be a big help as well will give you some suggestions of the local club members with experience, I know timing is every thing when dealing with tides and current to make progress with the approach to St John NB, good luck.
Old 04-26-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have seen the tides up the Bay of Fundy from the land - Max flow looks like a river after a major rainstorm. Wouldnt want to be on the water at all in those parts. 30 ft. tidal range is amazing and can be dangerous.
Old 04-26-2008
H27 "Shady Lady"

Thanks very much, this is all part of my Grand Scheme, as since I will be in Halifax, and my wife's Family lives in Fredricton NB, I am hoping to use this info a a bit of a sales pitch when it comes time to buy a sailboat down the road.

Thanks very much.

Shawn
Old 04-26-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
It would be a nice sail. Halifax to Chester or Lahave, then Shelbourne then to Yarmouth and to Digby and then across. Follow the ferry route. Allow for the current when you are plotting. The tide will be running cross seas to your course. GPS should make it easier.
Old 08-13-2009
H27 "Shady Lady"

Dragging up an old thread, but I just wanted to point out a few things that have changed. I actually bought a Hunter 27 that has made the trip several times. It came with Radar and Chart Plotter, so that will help a bit. I am goign to eventually make the trip across Fundy with her, but will start with shorter hops down the coast to places like Chester (this Sept) for a week, then maybe as far as Digby for a couple weeks next year.

Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.