Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Here's one that makes sense once you think about it:

If you've got dorade vents with two in front and two in back, when the boat is unattended (or just closed up) turn the back two to face aft. That way the breeze comes in one set and out the other.

With them all set in the same direction, very little air flow results and mildew will gitcha.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
On that same theme, it makes sense with just two adjacent dorades, to have them facing opposite directions - but, parallel with prevailing winds.
Old 05-11-2008
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
This is a great thread, so to revive it I'll add this for un-winterizing your fresh water system:

Last year it seemed like I still had traces of antifreeze in the fresh water system until August, so this is what I did yesterday to make sure it was fully purged.

Get a barbed female garden hose fitting that fits your freshwater plumbing tubing (Mine is 5/8")

Remove the tubing from the output side of your freshwater pump, and insert the garden fitting.

Put a shutoff valve on the end of your garden hose

Connect the hose to the fitting you put on the supply line in the boat.

Open all faucets, and slowly open the valve to the desired flow and let it run until all traces of antifreeze have been flushed out. I ran it for 30-45 minutes.

This eliminated allot of wear & tear on the fresh water pump, and ensured that the system was clean.

For the water tanks, I disconnected the supply line in the bilge, and filled and flushed the tanks several times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 05-11-2008

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
dirty eyeglasses

When your glasses get dirty, or fouled up with dried on salt spray, to clean them, first spray with spray was (Lemon Pledge), and then polish them as usual. Gets all the crud right off. Also the wax fills in all the microscopic scratches in the lenses, so the lenses are restored to their original curvature!
Old 05-11-2008

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
holes in tennis balls

The suggestion on use of tennis balls is clever. In order to drill the hole in the tennis ball, drill a hole 3/4 the size of the tennis ball in a block of scrap wood. Put the tennis ball in the hole, and then drill the hole in the ball.
Old 05-12-2008

svstrider is on a distinguished road
Other uses for clothes pegs

If I am trailing a fishing line or anything for that matter e.g. the wife, I put a plastic clothes peg (red is best) on the engine throttle lever to remind me that something needs to be done before starting the engine - like retrieve the fishing line or the wife. Well definitely the fishing line.
Old 05-12-2008

svstrider is on a distinguished road
Remove engine key before doing prop work

I remove the engine key/s (I own a cat) if I am going over the side to work in the water. Just in case someone has a brain snap and decides to start up the donks. Very important strategy if there are kids or drunks on board. I put the keys in the beer fridge to remind ME to have a cleansing ale when I return from underwater maintenance in exotic locations.

I DO trust the wife but if I know the keys are not inserted, I don't have nagging scarey thoughts about being made into chopped liver. I have enough to worry about with sharks and salt water crocodiles as it is.

Last edited by svstrider; 05-12-2008 at 05:14 AM. Reason: lousy grammar & missing words
Old 05-12-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I have a RIB as a dinghy, and store it on davits. Since you don't want the boat to fill with rain water and rip said davits from the hull one normally pulls the drain plug on the dinghy after raising it. After more than one time of lowering the dinghy without first re-installing the plug (makes for a little fun doing a quick rehoist) I started thinking.
After I took some aspirin to clear up the headache that caused I took a piece of sting and tied the plug to the cleat on the davits, on the side the engine/plug goes.I can't uncleat the line and lower the dinghy without untying the plug which is a wonderful reminder. Now I can't loose the plug, or the dinghy
Old 05-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chuckles-

I hear thinking is hazardous to your health...wears out the brain cells.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-12-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Everything other than Rum is hazardous to my health.