Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Finally, a good use for a cat in addition to target practice!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2009

mclaus is on a distinguished road
In general a good idea, but without any kind of sorting it, who is going through hundreds of hints, if he/she is looking for something?
Miami

fair winds and following seas
Old 04-24-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I would guess use the search tool, or google for something in particular. I enjoy reading many threads from the beginning to end even if they are old. We all get through life differently........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2009

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Update on the polishing tip that I posted last week. Works GREAT. It's the same setup and I use the same cleaner/wax (3M Cleaner and Wax) that the yard uses. I was able to do half the starboard side (about 19' - 25% of the boat) in about an 1.25 hours. It looks like it just came out of the mold. Put a little of the wax/cleaner on the cheapo vibrator buffer and spread it around, cleaning the hull. Then switch to the polisher to buff/polish and remove the wax. I think that the yard uses too much wax and it gums up their polisher pad from what I can see.
Old 11-16-2009

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Two new tips:

1. Use petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the knotmeter impeller to keep off growth. I installed my knotmeter in June and slathered it with Vaseline. Reapplied in August. Pulled the boat yesterday and no growth at all! I read about this tip somewhere (maybe this thread?). Works great.

2. On the recommendation of my yard owner, painted my prop with 2 coats Interlux Primocon prior to bottom painting. It isolated the bronze prop from the bottom paint and prevented the copper in the paint from acting as a zinc. Pulled the boat yesterday and there was only one barnacle. In the past, applying bottom paint directly to the prop was worthless and had to clean it 2-3 times a season (Chesapeake Bay, May- Nov).
Old 12-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I thought I'd resurrect this thread.. it may be useful to more recent members and good for a re-read.

A couple of things to share:

One of my pet peeves is the dirt that collects under lines running on deck, spinn poles stored on deck, etc.. the dirt becomes very difficult to remove, almost seeming ingrained into the deck. I usually find ways to tension lines or store them in such a way that they do not rest on the surface..

With the spinnaker pole, this issue is compounded when the bridles and possibly trip lines add to the dirt 'pattern' on deck. We've hit upon a solution for this one that is working well.

We also store our halyards clipped to the perforated toerail to avoid the wind chimes of halyard slap whether moored or aboard in the night. What we've taken to doing is, when at the marina, sliding the spinnaker pole between the taut halyards and the stanchions - the pole is held well off the deck, the bridles can be wrapped around the pole and so they too are not a problem. This also facilitates scrubbing the deck without having the move the pole from it's chocks. Of course under way and while cruising the pole is chocked as normal...

Like so
:

Another trick I stumbled upon was a way to check zincs without resorting to a haulout or diver. I always keep a mechanic's mirror on board, very handy. This time of year the water in our marina is quite clear. I found I was able to clearly see the zincs' conditions while leaning over the edge of the dock, putting the mirror in the water and adjusting the angle for a good view of the shaft and prop zincs. Even with a small 2"x3" mirror it's quite clear. I figure if I can't see enough to know they're still there it's time to haul and change them.
jrd22 and tdw like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 12-28-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2011

Dfok is on a distinguished road
great thread - some good info here

Thanks for resurrecting this, I missed it until now.
My tip - I use my camera phone as a big part of my boat notebook. When ideas strike, parts or supplies are needed I snap a quick picture as a reminder. Shooting parts with serial numbers or model numbers makes life easier when ordering, having a snapshot of a problem gives me time to figure out solutions while off the boat.
An extension of this is using evernote (Remember Everything | Evernote Corporation)(not affiliated, I just use it cause it works well) as a repository for all my photos, notes, manuals, receipts and other boat stuff. WIth my phone, Ipad or computer I can call all this stuff up easily. It is a great time saver.

Last edited by Dfok; 12-28-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: not affiliated with the linked company
Old 01-02-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Here's a picture of the pole storage idea posted above.. got it this past weekend..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Here's a picture of the pole storage idea posted above.. got it this past weekend.......
Cool idea. A couple of velcro wraps around the pole and stanchion would make me more comfortable underway. Spin poles are expensive.

edit: Just noticed this wasn't your underway plan. Cooler.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.