Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008

richardfrance is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to richardfrance
Crinan canal yacht

Rockter, that's a handsome boat. What make? And could you explain about not using the 110 v.?
richardfrance
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2008

richardfrance is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to richardfrance
Rockter, that's a handsome boat. What make? And could you explain about not using the 110v.?
richardfrance
Old 04-28-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Rich...

It's a Union 36 from 1977, complete with leaking decks though, soon to be tackled.

I simply never use the alternating current wiring on the ship. It probably would work, but I have never tried with a UK supply. I am always wary of leaving anything live on there when I am not aboard anyway.
Old 04-28-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardfrance View Post
Rockter, that's a handsome boat. What make? And could you explain about not using the 110v.?
richardfrance
Richard,

If you like the look/style/design of Rockter's Union 36, there is a similar "Made in USA" brand called "Pacific Seacraft" that might appeal to you. We own one of their smaller designs (a 31 footer), but all the larger models have canoe sterns similar to Rockter's boat. Their Crealock 34, 37, and 40 models are particularly interesting if you plan a fair bit of blue-water passagemaking. Just thought I'd mention this in case you aren't familiar with the brand.

P.S. We welcome your Euros!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-28-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Richard...where and what type of sailing do you plan on doing?? Coastal, weekend, sail the World???
Old 04-28-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
richard- I'm not sure you realize the scope of that which you speak. You could buy 100 boats a day for the next 5 years and not even scratch the suface of the boats we have. We've got the Euros now, Old Man. And if it wasn't for your infuriating addiction to 110 volts, plus the Schengen Tax - there wouldn't be a decent boat left in American waters - we'd have them all back here. Not sure they have even printed enough Euros for that.
Old 04-28-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
PCI makes a Gemini specifically altered for the Euro-market; including certification related upgrades and changing out the 110v.

No, I'm not trying to bring you to the dark side of catamarans

If PCI does it, I'm sure other boat builders would be more than happy to customize a boat for you, fueled up with a fist full of euro's.
Old 04-28-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Richard..I travel a lot to the US and have seen many boats there..and also have many friends there with boats...

One thing you have to know, because of the American mentality of "buy new when the old is bad", (except a few exceptions), maintenace in their boats is not like in Europe...Therefore many boats in the US are not worth a dime, because of the state of decay they were allowed to fall into..maintenance and yard work is very, very expensive there, so a lot of the maintenace is do it yourself, and much of it is done as cheap as possible, lackig therefore quality.

Also, being true they have a lot of boats, more than half are really crappy POS boats...they also have these really old boats, that were designed when Colombo was in school, and sail like crap, but are "named" good boats....so please don't bring crap to europe...we have enough...

They have this "surveyor" fever and addiction, I never understood, they don't do anything without a surveyor (maybe because they have too many frauds), so because of this, no one looks at the boat with their proper eyes, instead they trust surveyors for everything, delegating to sometimes less scrupolous individuals, the technical issues of the boats...they don't anything without "proferssional" surveyor approval...sometimes I think they are weird....here in Europe, each one to each one...I look at the boats myself, and trust no one..this to say that a lot of boats they consider "fit and good" are only that, because a surveyor said so...which may not be the truth all the times...granted, many surveyors are decent professionals and will provide a reliable opinion...if you buy a boat there..look for yourself, and compare with the surveyor...they also use escrows, and have their funny methods of buying and selling...not like in Europe, you see, yo try you like, you buy, all in one go...

Depending of the sailing you want to do, they do have a lot of excellent boats, but much more really crappy boats.

They also have this tendency to believe older boats are better because they were built with 10 foot thick hulls, (because techniques in the old days were less optimized), and are weird in relation to us in that matter...

I wouldn't bring some of these old carcasses they have there, (including the Asian built stuff), to Europe, we sail different, in different conditions..and most of these museum queens aren't suitable for our waters..

Now...I like some of the C&C and Tartans (stay away from new models) and those PS are rather nice...they aldo have fast cruisers like the SantaCruz, and now you can even find sleds at half price....they also have good ocean boats like the Valiants and Passports, but sailing fast is not their forte..

Really depends on what you want to do and sail...BUT please...stay away from the museum carcasses of yesteryears...unless its one of those sexy boats from the 30's with long overhangs, and you want to restore...

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-28-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Now...I like some of the C&C and Tartans

G- is clearly a man of discerning taste with a real eye for quality. You really should listen to this sound advise.
Old 04-28-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Although we have a lot of good boats, as Alex says, we have a few bad ones as well.

I would think for the European market why not buy a European boat that was bought here in the states up to 5 years ago. It was bought at a much better exchange rate and therefore should be able to be had for less. Certainly some boats are in demand and the boat goes up as the currency exchange does. However, there are a lot of boats on the market, including some very good European boats in the US market, and the price is what the buyer is willing to pay. We may have a lot of Canadians buying US boats now, but not that many Europeansas yet.