new teak - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-30-2008 Thread Starter

new teak

Many older boats have some water stains around the ports. The panels are often fairly easy to replace. But the common practice is to replace them with white formica instead of teak as the original. I'd prefer the teak.

How hard is it to match stain the new teak to the old teak?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-30-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

Hi, Xort,

It's hard. First, you've got the new teak - older teak has finer grain and is usually evenly colored. Teak these days seems to be coarser grained and has light and dark striations. Not a bad look but doesn't look like the old stuff.

Next, you've got the color. Most of the time, teak has not been stained. Just finished with varnish or polyurethane. Then it has aged. And the color changes.

Third, you've got the sheen. Gloss finish is usually fairly easy. It's glossy - unless it's badly worn. Then you need to stick a coat on the old as well as the new.

However, if you've got a satin finish, there are many degrees of satin - ranging from very flat to almost glossy. Tough to match unless, like the worn gloss, you finish the old to match the new.

One word: Curtains.

Saltwater Suzi and Cap'n Larry

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-30-2008 Thread Starter

Interior is not glossy. Hard to say what degree of satin.
I have had good luck getting a wiping stain to match some wood trim at home. I was thinking a good craftsman would be able to match the color and then perhaps revarnish the whole boat to get the satin finish to match...
post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2008
Señor Member

I've found the points regarding matching older teak that L&S made are for the most part, very true. In my profession though, I've worked with many refinishing pros who can do wonders with matching new to old . . . for a pretty steep price though.

The best success I've had is to strip the old varnish from the teak surrounding the port - up to a point where the surface plane or material changes. Use a heat gun for this followed by sanding - being careful to not remove the teak plies if working with plywood.

Fill the grain with a grain filler compound, if that what exists and use a varnish that simulates the satin, aged appearance of the interior. In my last boat, Interlux Goldspar Satin matched perfectly.

True Blue . . .
sold the Nauticat
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2008

If the interior teak is oiled versus varnished, matching color is easier. My interior is oiled, and I have had good luck matching new trim to match the original wood just with teak oil.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.