SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

SimonV's Journey to Australia

77K views 576 replies 52 participants last post by  bubb2 
#1 ·
Simon left on his cruise to Australia today at around 11:30 am. On his behalf, I would like to say thanks to everyone at Berkeley Marina for making his stay an enjoyable one. All of your help, guidance, and friendship was very much appreciated. So here is a little video of his trip out under the GGB. Its hard to tell, but that is "Goodonya", "Pura Vida", and "Good Grief". The video is not too exciting, and I don't think I really had much choice in the song.

If there are no communications problems, on this thread I will post updates to his journey, along with his positions so you can plot his course on Google or whatever you like. If you have things to tell him, you can post them here or send them to me, and I will cut and paste them to Simon. Please make the messages short. Also, he won't be back on sailnet for a while, so don't expect responses to your posts too quickly.

Fair winds Simon!

http://i178.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid178.photobucket.com/albums/w241/eastbaylostboys/sailnet08/simonleaves.flv

#2 ·
Fair winds Simon...

Reactions: SailNet Archive
#4 ·
We certainly wish him well and there'll be a cold one or ten waiting for him when he makes it through Sydney Heads.

Funnily enough the Ms Wombat was asking about him only yesterday and I was about to send off a message to see how he was progressing. Obviously pretty well.

BF - not expecting timing but what was his planned route ?

#6 ·
Hope he dosent forget about the 10 day notification by e-mail...:rolleyes:

#8 ·
Fair winds and smooth seas, Simon!

Wishing you an enjoyably uneventful voyage.

#11 ·
Yes, he is headed straight for the Marquesas. So I think it will be around 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. He has friends in the Berkeley Marina that will be in touch with him via SSB on a regular basis.

#12 ·
Goodonya's Departure

Hi - I'm Goodonya's previous owner. Thought y'all might like to see the webpage I just put together about Simon's departure today.

www.sailpuravida.com/byebyegoodonya.htm

We didn't get to chat with him tonight on the SSB - perhaps he's not feeling up to being in the little chart room tonight.

We had pretty strong winds leading up to the Gate which shook him and Goodonya up a bit. Our last comments on the VHF had him saying how he had a bit of cleaning up to do - no doubt by the 25 kts we were being hit with on the way to the Gate.

But outside according to the buoy reports for this afternoon it looked like he had winds in the 12-15 kt range and seas 5 ft at 16 seconds - so sounds pretty good.

Melissa
Matey the Sailor Dog

#35 · (Edited)
Hi - I'm Goodonya's previous owner. Thought y'all might like to see the webpage I just put together about Simon's departure today.

www.sailpuravida.com/byebyegoodonya.htm
Thanks for sharing the send off!!!

What a great departure. I'll remember Simon and picture that scene in my mind the next time I cross that bridge. Good times! I can only dream of an adventure like that.

Fair Winds Simon!!!:) :) :)

#13 ·
Thanks for sharing that Mel

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks Melissa3, that was nice. I was definitely feeling a little blue today too. I find myself wishing I had spent more time with him. Next year I hope! I'll send you guys the photos from the GGB tomorrow. I wanted to get to the North side as Greg had suggested, but the traffic was horrendous.

#17 ·
We had a nice sail following/leading/following Simon on S/V Goodonya out the gate. VERY NICE posts Bob, and Melissa! What wonderful tributes and memoirs for Simon to have when he gets the chance to see them.

Please forward those links to his friends/family who are Down Under; and on his email distribution list. If you don't have that info send me a PM and I will forward you his contact list (on his sailmail "test" email).

Looks like there is going to be some challenging sailing for Simon as he sails south along 125W; 25-35kt winds and building seas as he heads due south. It's going to be a wild sleigh ride for the next 3 days for him!!!

#23 ·
Nice work, everyone, you all deserve Kudos for making Simon so welcome during his remarkable stay and adventures stateside.

Hat's off to Simon too, as Val says. Looks like he'll get a bit of a baptism right off the bat. Hopefully all goes better for him (as it must) than for a certain multihuller that briefly left some time ago.

#26 ·
Switching Forums

I was Simon's neighbor to the north (1 slip away). It was great to have him around. Seeing him always surrounded by people visiting and well wishing and extending helping hands really hit home the kind of community we have on the water. When I heard that he met on this forum a number of his good friends that were coming around frequently , I decided to switch to it from another undisclosed popular forum for crusiers ;). With him gone the dock seems a little more lonely. But hey, maybe I'll now be able to concentrate and get some papers done. We'll be keeping an ear out for him and wish him the very best.

Fair winds and a following sea mate-and heaps of "chocky bars" and beer to boot.

Teddius

#28 ·
I was Simon's neighbor to the north (1 slip away). It was great to have him around. Seeing him always surrounded by people visiting and well wishing and extending helping hands really hit home the kind of community we have on the water. When I heard that he met on this forum a number of his good friends that were coming around frequently , I decided to switch to it from another undisclosed popular forum for crusiers ;). With him gone the dock seems a little more lonely. But hey, maybe I'll now be able to concentrate and get some papers done. We'll be keeping an ear out for him and wish him the very best.

Fair winds and a following sea mate-and heaps of "chocky bars" and beer to boot.

Teddius
Don't be sad...I am sending you a new neighbour..this one has a very light HAnse!!!:D :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.