SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

SimonV's Journey to Australia

77K views 576 replies 52 participants last post by  bubb2 
#1 ·
Simon left on his cruise to Australia today at around 11:30 am. On his behalf, I would like to say thanks to everyone at Berkeley Marina for making his stay an enjoyable one. All of your help, guidance, and friendship was very much appreciated. So here is a little video of his trip out under the GGB. Its hard to tell, but that is "Goodonya", "Pura Vida", and "Good Grief". The video is not too exciting, and I don't think I really had much choice in the song.

If there are no communications problems, on this thread I will post updates to his journey, along with his positions so you can plot his course on Google or whatever you like. If you have things to tell him, you can post them here or send them to me, and I will cut and paste them to Simon. Please make the messages short. Also, he won't be back on sailnet for a while, so don't expect responses to your posts too quickly.

Fair winds Simon!

http://i178.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid178.photobucket.com/albums/w241/eastbaylostboys/sailnet08/simonleaves.flv

#239 · (Edited)
Alright everyone, one big collective blow in the southerly direction to get the bastard across the line! Deep breaths now, 1, 2......

Cam, I sent him Cap'n Reid's coordinates. If that doesn't get him across the line, I don't know what will!

......Oh.....3!

#240 ·
Sway, CD, Cam... it is important that you participate, since you guys are the biggest blowhards we've got in North America. :)

Alright everyone, one big collective blow in the southerly direction to get the bastard across the line! Deep breaths now, 1, 2......

Cam, I sent him Cap'n Reid's coordinates. If that doesn't get him across the line, I don't know what will!

......Oh.....3!

#244 ·
Hello all you Poly Wogs, and to any of you fellow Shell Backs, I salute you.

Well last night at 1.22AM PDST I crossed the Equator at 00,00 132.51 W. The winds were gusting to 8 knots but were more in the 3-5 knots range. I had a full moon with about 30% light cloud cover. I could see most of the stars and was following the Southern Cross that was low on the horizon. Due to the lack of good solid wind I have been doing a lot of hand steering as the air vane on the wind vane gets confused in the lulls and we start to flop about, this puts me in the wrong place for the next wave of wind. The temp was 30 deg C last night and was not as humid. So now I can call myself a Shell Back, as I have sailed over the Equator, and single handed. I have since removed the air vane and hooked up the electronic tiller pilot to the wind vane and we are doing a lot better as the tiller pilot steers a compass course and not that of the wind, so when the wind drops or disappears for a few minutes it holds its course.

Maxon thanks for the Avo Robusto it suited the occasion, and for the toast, Don Julio, Anejo. So with a great cigar and a great Tequila I toasted you all.

Simon

P.S I also gifted the ocean gods with a band of gold, one unneeded wedding ring.

#246 ·
Congrats Simon.. :)

#253 ·
LOL... I couldn't resist... :D

#256 ·
PDP's awfully grumpy... he must have skipped his metamucil this morning.

#263 ·
Cam-

Believe you screwed the pooch on the lyrics... of course, you're taking poetic license for Simon's boat... :) He wishes he had eighty feet of waterline... :) :D

Got out of town on a boat
Goin' to Southern islands.
Sailing a reach
Before a followin' sea.
She was makin' for the trades
On the outside,
And the downhill run
To Papeete.
Off the wind on this heading
Lie the Marquesas.
We got eighty feet of the waterline.
Nicely making way.
In a noisy bar in Avalon
I tried to call you.
But on a midnight watch I realized
Why twice you ran away.

#264 ·
You got it Max-on.

as of 7pm 22/5 PDST 01,17 S 133,21 W

Only about 600 miles to the Marquesas and I have wind, NSW won the first State of origin, the sun is still shinning, its still hot, but I am happy.

Simon

#265 ·
in case that leaves any of you confused.....

State of Origin.......Football Series (3 games) , NSW v Qld. Debatably the most important Rugby League games played in Oz each year......

#266 ·
Thanks for clearing that up fuzzy. :)

#267 ·
Welcome Honorable Shellback

Congratulations Simon, welcome to the ranks of the Honorable Shellback. Ah, I can still remember my first crossing, since our last port of call was Sidney, Australia, our initiation supplies included vegemite, I still can't get the taste out of my mouth :D

#268 ·
I'm posting this certificate for Sifucarl... :)

Congrats Simon on your new Shellback status. :)

#272 ·
If that shellback certificate excites you, you're worse off than I thought...and that's pretty bad...considering my opinion of most lawyers. :) I'll be sending you some gift certificates to The Foxy Lady... :)

#273 ·
Pos at 9.15am pdst 04,10 S 135,09 W

less then 400 miles to the Marquesas and a level bed and floor, I have been on a port tack for near all the distance. Walking on solid ground will be interesting.

Simon

Reactions: denby
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.