SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   biscayne bay power boaters (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/43036-biscayne-bay-power-boaters.html)

cpa2 05-10-2008 03:40 PM

biscayne bay power boaters

I have had about all i can take from the powerboat biscayne bay crowd. I was out with my dad today having a nice sail. Coming back through the dinner key channel a bunch of jerks in a 25-30 foot go fast center console. was heading straight for us at 40+kts. My 68 yo dad was steering and I was putting the sails away. These jerk offs passed close enough to spray my decks with their wake(4/5 feet) then flipped us the bird. It seems that every time i go out it is the same thing, sometimes it happens 3 times in one day. Glad im only here for another month.

Sapperwhite 05-10-2008 03:52 PM

Jot down the vessel name and hailing port. Report them......or look them up. How do you think those helicopters taking your picture know how to get a hold of you? They look up your vessel name and hailing port.

dwightgry 05-10-2008 04:29 PM

Just for my curiosity, what would happpen if you did report them? Is there any enforcement, are they breaking any laws? I have thought about keeping a camcorder on board for just such instances. What happened to me is when I was down in the Bahamas very large powerboats would overtake me and plan to pass within very short range unless I altered course, and no I wasn't on any course between two waypoints, just random sailing.

Valiente 05-10-2008 04:47 PM

It's Florida.

Shoot them.

bubb2 05-10-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiente (Post 312350)
It's Florida.

Shoot them.

deer slugs work well, nice holes though the hull

sailingdog 05-10-2008 07:59 PM

Passing close enough to spray the boat at that speed is definitely dangerous and reckless. I'd bet that the marine police would agree.

Next time, try and get some video of them... and if the local marine authorities won't do anything about it, bring it to one of the local TV stations, as they'll probably love to do a story about unsafe boating and how the marine authorities aren't doing anything about it. :)

gtod25 05-10-2008 08:54 PM

I'm not sure if the battle hasn't been lost in S. Florida..

or more correctly in Miami. My own experience was with a jet skier who passed our slip at speed (its a no wake zone). When my wife yelled at him to slow down he circled around and exposed himself (I kid you not). My wife's comment was that "it looked like a penis, only smaller". We called the police, who, to their credit caught the guy as he landed and managed to fine him $250 on some technicality. They felt that he could not pursue the "indecent exposures" charge.

Most cases of this nature are not processed, we were persistent AND got lucky with the police we dealt with.

The general behavior will only change on the roads and on the water here when, either;

a. The level of carnage reaches an unacceptable level.
b. People demand a more socially evolved society and the authorities are tasked to enforce it.

I'm not holding my breath.

ps. This is not a diatribe on race or culture, its a simple a matter of law enforcement.

Iflyka200s 05-10-2008 09:31 PM

Yup.. South Florida blows...

I was at Bass Pro today... in the parking lot some little girl was posing for a picture on a motorcycle parked in the lot.

She got off the bike, kicked the guys helmet off while doing it AND the bike fell over. She just walked away.... I was stunned.. went in and told the store manager and he paged the owner. I told the guy what happened and he thought I was lying.... !!! (2 others saw it too)

Sadly Biscayne Bay has been pretty bad since the 1980's.... SIGH.. Anybody need a Hawker pilot (and his Catalina 22) ANYWHERE but here?

xort 05-10-2008 09:41 PM

carry a throwing line to toss out in their path so as to tangle in their props!!!!

sailingdog 05-10-2008 09:45 PM

Make sure it is floating line. :)