Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Guys,

At the risk of repeating myself, we don't know what happened. The one guy who does is the guy who was out there and who (thank God) is still with us, and still "compos mentis", so maybe he should be the one to tell us what did or didn't happen. He sounds like someone with experience, so if anyone knows how to contact him, he may quite possibly tell us what took place, in the interest of preventing a reoccurrance.

'Til then, I think we're swatting at flies..
Yes! I agree.... Swatting at flies...it's fun to discuss the possibilities though.

Sounds like a totally competent sailor... that for me is the interest. What the heck happened? Thank GOD he's still among us. Yes...!

I can probably learn something just from the discussion!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2008

Triquetra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Craigtoo-

That's definitely a possibility, given how one ama is floating and the other appears submerged.
I think that it is unlikely that he hit something, because Corsair amas have 3 sections, and unless he penetrated the center chamber (the larger one) it would be unlikely to have sunk as SD points out from the photo. They may have flooded it by opening the hatch to help right the boat. Somone mentioned after seeing the damage to the mast and rigging, that the boat was possibly righted abeam rather than bow over stern, causing that damage, and flooding an ama is consistent with that assessment.

I have a vested interest in the "fly swatting", since I have a Corsair and want to avoid being another Corsair that "turned turtle".
Old 05-13-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
God had very little to do with it. The guy is alive and has learned some incredible lessons. Winds, waves and currents were his allies (or enemies) and he survived by staying with his upturned multi-hull boat (2 amas, 1 hull and who knows how many ways it could have happened). He was one lucky son of a bytch.
Live long and prosper folks.

Everybody has one:

Old 05-14-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
Punched a hole in one of the floatie thingies? (amas or whatever?)
Damn it man! They're water wings!!
Old 05-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Triquetra-

It was me that suggested that they may have righted the boat by turning it ama over hull, and flooding the ama might be consistent with that...but we don't know if the ama was indeed flooded or not, and due to the mechanics involved, I seriously doubt it was flooded intentionally. I am aware that the amas are separated into three compartments on the Corsairs, having sailed on them a fair bit, and having worked on a few...

However, flooding the ama to right the trimaran would require someone going into the water to open the hatches on it, and the amas would still be airlocked—unless they were holed...so you'd actually have to pump the air out and water in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triquetra View Post
I think that it is unlikely that he hit something, because Corsair amas have 3 sections, and unless he penetrated the center chamber (the larger one) it would be unlikely to have sunk as SD points out from the photo. They may have flooded it by opening the hatch to help right the boat. Somone mentioned after seeing the damage to the mast and rigging, that the boat was possibly righted abeam rather than bow over stern, causing that damage, and flooding an ama is consistent with that assessment.

I have a vested interest in the "fly swatting", since I have a Corsair and want to avoid being another Corsair that "turned turtle".

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-14-2008

Triquetra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Triquetra-

However, flooding the ama to right the trimaran would require someone going into the water to open the hatches on it, and the amas would still be airlocked—unless they were holed...so you'd actually have to pump the air out and water in.
Good point. I am just hoping that it is not so easy to flip one, particularly since I have seen other reports of them flipping during races, though I met some of the crew on on one of those, and I know that they push it when racing by "flying one and sometimes 2 hulls," as I was told. This person told me that if when sailing one of the amas completely submerges, you have to worry about flipping. He had my 36 with one ama at about 3 feet out of the water, which was a bit unnerving for me at the time (having just gotten the boat). I guess that we'll just have to wait and see what happened.
Old 05-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A Corsair 36 will be a bit harder to flip, since it is larger... and the stability geometrically with the water line IIRC.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-14-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Damn it man! They're water wings!!
Repeating to myself..

"Water Wings...Water Wings....Water Wings...."

I'm just so not up on the technical terms....!!!

I love
Old 05-14-2008
Telstar 28

T34C, Craigtoo...

To quote our famed moderator of the exploding bbq grill...

BITE ME....

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-15-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Water wings? Aren't those the things that kids use in pools?

Everybody has one: