Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
NJ Capsize

Saw this in the Coast Guard News. Looks like he did good by having a survival suit and staying with the boat. May not of had an EPIRB or VHF he could get to. Must be a multi to stay upside down or else there was a terrible failure. Thought you might be interested and was wondering if anybody had any more news about the incident.

Quote:
OCEAN CITY, N.J. - A Good Samaritan and the Coast Guard rescued a sailor today after the sailboat he was on capsized Friday about eight miles southeast of Corsons Inlet, N.J.
Rescued was Brian Mann, 57, of Edgartown, Mass.
Mann was discovered in a survival suit, sitting atop his overturned sailboat by the pilot of the Pulp Fishing, a recreational fishing boat. The Good Samaritan contacted the Coast Guard at about 9 a.m. today, who launched rescue boat crews from Coast Guard Stations Great Egg and Townsend Inlet, N.J.
The rescue crew from Station Great Egg arrived on scene, and took Mann back to their station in Ocean City, N.J., to awaiting EMS personnel.
Mann was examined and released by medical personnel at the station.
Mann was aboard his 31-foot sailboat transiting from Cape May, N.J., to Massachusetts when his boat capsized off the New Jersey Coast at about 6 p.m. Friday.
Mann was wearing a survival suit and stayed with his boat, which greatly contributed to his survival, said David Umberger, search and rescue coordinator at Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay in Philadelphia.
Mann is currently working with salvage crews from Sea Tow to develop a salvage plan for his boat.
Old 05-11-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Wow, that's quite a story. I wonder if he's on SailNet!
Old 05-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Looks like a Corsair 31 trimaran. You can see what is left of the boat in the video that is linked to the story here. It looks like his rigging gave out...and the mast went down, whether it was during the capsize, before it or afterwards, I can't say. If they righted the boat by pulling on it laterally, they may have dismasted here during the righting process. Most multihulls should be righted by pulling them bow over stern or stern over bow... not laterally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-11-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
That is a very nice area with sand dunes near Ocean city, NJ. I could not find any more information about the sailor.
Old 05-11-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
If I remember right Friday was a pretty nasty day down there. Sounds like he was well prepared though. Happy ending.
Old 05-11-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Makes you wonder how he turned turtle. One of those multihull things?
Old 05-11-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
/\/\ SailingDog says probably a corsair trimaran

he's probably not regretting spending the $$ on a survival suit though
Old 05-11-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like he was well prepared though. Happy ending. Unless you're the boat!

Makes you wonder how he turned turtle. One of those multihull things? The AC teams seem to do it on a pretty regular basis.
Old 05-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Here's a screen shot of the video showing his boat.

and a photo of another Corsair 31 trimaran

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-11-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
It's a real shame about the boat but I'm very glad no one got hurt. The guy did good to stay calm and with the boat. Thanks for digging up the additional info.