Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2002

uri is on a distinguished road
How does a geeenaker poole work ?

Now the new trend is to place geenaker pooles to avoid or replace the "traditional most effective" downwind sail the Spinnaker. I would like to know what exactly does the geenaker poole, in my thinking is that the sail may be bigger and because is placed more in front of the boat it will have more "clear" wind from the main sail in a downwind navigation, Is that correct?, or I am tootally wrong! Are there any other reasons to use a geenaker poole?
I gues that the new trend in tha use of geenakers is because the easy of handling...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Gennakers work best on light, fast boats where you would almost never point dead downwind. On boats like that, even on a broad reach the wind would appear to be a beam reach or in lighter conditions forward of the beam. In those conditions as sail that is somewhere between a spinacker and a genoa can be an asset. These sails really become pretty inefficient when the apparent wind is aft of abeam. Genackers are a very narrow function sail. They fill the slot between broad reaching and close reaching in a very narrow wind range.

Assymetrical chutes have a broader range of use on lighter weight boats where thier boat speed relative to the windspeed means that they almost never go dead downwind.

For boats with L/D ratios over about 150 and SA/D under about 22, symetrical spinackers are a better choice with assymetrical spinackers (either a cruising chute or the modern racing assym. spinackers) as a less effective alternative. The problem with assymetrical spinackers on cruising boats is that cruising boats rarely have the kind boat speed advantage on a reach (vs a run) that makes ''tacking downwind'' compellingly better from a VMG stand point. While some assymetrics can be flown wing and wing, in general, assymetrics are not that stable in flight when used wing and wing amking them a cranky choice for downwind work. While cruising chutes are cut to be more stable in a wing and wing situation, they are generally far less effective than a symetrical or assym downwind.

So back to how a gennacker is flown. Under the racing rules, a gennacker is considered a specialized type of spinacker. As such, it has to be flown as flying sail (not hung on a fixed stay), and must be flown from a pole or sprit. The sprit allows the gennacker to be separated from the forestay making a jibe a little easier (reduced chance of a wrap). there are two popular set-ups for gennackers. the first employs a roller furling drum to retract the gennacker and the second uses a tack penant which allows a spinacker style drop.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2002

Ok, I will read your message with time and try to get it all. Do you think that the Elan will do Ok with an assymetriacle spinnaker or a gennaker ?. I was looking at the flasher from UK sailmakersor the G2 from NorthSails....and are the rollers for gennakers Ok ?
Old 06-10-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Probably not an ideal candidate for an assymetrical chute but I don''t know the Elans that well.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2002

Well...I gues I will have to get a spinnaker...for racing.....and a Geenaker for family cruising....almost like singlehanded until my two soons grow up a little more....Which one first .....mmm?
Are used spinnakers ok to buy?, since I know that I can get them from one of the many first 40.7. My concern is like the kevlar or mylar sails that become "really used" after a season or two of racing. Do the Spi. loose their shape also ?. Or if they have been not been broken and repaired ok?
Old 06-11-2002

Chances are a used spinacker is really going to be pretty tired. It would be OK for knocking about but not terribly useful for racing. Also a chute for a 40.7 would not likely fit your boat. The 40.7 has an unusual hoist to girth for a 40 footer as they are only slightly fractional.

I really don''t find assymetricals easier to fly short handed because they need so much attention in flight and are hard to jibe without getting a wrap. With an autopilot it is not that hard to jibe a symetrical chute single-handed end for end on my 38 footer, especially if you mark the sheets and guys for the proper position. With an assymetrical chute you typically need to use a stuffer short handed in order to jibe safely.

I really don''t think that a gennacker makes any sense for what you are trying to do. Gennackers are not really downwind sails but very light air reaching sails.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 06-11-2002

Well there is always time to learn and I will thank you for the advice and I will do my best !
PD May be I need to take some lessons in flying a chute !
Thanks