Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
No sticky residue left on the kid.
Small kids are always sticky and smell bad!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Small kids are always sticky and smell bad!
All the more reason to put 'em in the bilge!
Old 05-16-2008

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Baby on Board

Thanks for all the replies and expecially to Giuletta for the messages with links to earlier discussions and his photos. One of my favorte photos is of me holding by year old son, standing in the cockpit, fading sun on our faces and the Chessapeake in the background.
John
Old 05-16-2008

svey is on a distinguished road
Some choose golfing as a hobby and never see their kids (I'm not going to make any friends with that comment). I've opted for sailing because I wanted to spend time with my family.

My son is now 2 years old, he has an older sister (almost 8 years). We've always taken them sailing using common sense (check the weather forecast and avoid heavy weather if possible.

The one thing that I've installed that helps alot are anti-fatigue mats from Home Depot. They provide good traction for toddlers and prevent a lot of forehead bumping.
Old 05-16-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
We have a 3 1/2 year old and 1 1/2 year old, each was sailing with us by 2 months old.

A portable play pen and a booster type seat with straps has worked well for us when we were unable to entertain or hold them...

Something like this, a bus tub, is good for countless hours of entertainment for all, filled with water and toys and they're all set. It fits perfectly in the cockpit...and get in a dark color so it heats up and makes for a good foot bath for you later

The wife made a mesh cloth to attach to our sea berth so it would breath well in the hot summer days and made a completely secure area, so we haven't had the portable crib for the second child on board yet, but I think we'll need it for her this year

Both wear a PFD when ever out of the cabin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-16-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2008

bneedalm is on a distinguished road
First, get an infant PFD and some kind of tether. Second, do whatever it takes to make your daughter feel comfortable for the day.

I took my grandson out for a daysail at about the same age. Basically, a crew was assigned baby duty. Most of the time he slept on a bunk below with the crew keeping a close eye. The boat's motion was almost as good as a baby swing.

For the occasional daysail, it is the parents who will need the most tending.
Old 05-19-2008

rcosler is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Baby on Board - NOT!!!

I love babies, two grandbabies 8 months old are the joys of my life. BUT, if my son tells me hes going to take them sailing anytime before their second birtday (and that's pushing it) I'll be proud to tell he's is endagering them and his sailing fun as well.

Folks, sailboats are unpredictable, so are babies - put the two together and you've got a formula for a disaster that chills the bones. All the well meaning advice about securing babies can also imprison them, choke them and drown them.

Do yourself and your babies a favor. Let them grow up! Then they can learn to sail in a safe environment.
Old 05-19-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
We're willing to take that risk for the enjoyment our children and us get out of sailing and cruising. In my opinion if you don't live life whats the point?

Everyday we have the potential to be involved in dangerous situations, you survive by taking precautions and using good judgment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most cruising sailboats are very safe, properly equipped and sailed prudently. Taking the proper precautions should make it reasonably safe for bringing even infants aboard a boat.

Obviously, you need to avoid bad weather and such...but I don't see any reason not to introduce your children to sailing, even at a young age.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-21-2008

Sailor_I is on a distinguished road
Baby on board

Safety netting and PFD a must...checkout my cruising photos. My daughter was 9 months and there was noway she was going to be tied in a chair...unless you have earplugs!