mystery switch - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 Old 05-15-2008
Hitchin' a ride

Screw that! Cannon of tequila, Mrs. T's margarita mix, turn the damn switch on and make margaritas!

Great men always have too much sail up. - Christopher Buckley

Vaya con Dios
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 05-15-2008
Handsome devil

My boat has one...but all electric pumps I ever heard put out a pulsating sound
post #23 of 46 Old 05-15-2008

Could be an electric fuel pump to help force the fuel through if the fuel filter(s) get clogged
post #24 of 46 Old 05-15-2008

I have electric fuel pump on my Westerbeke 30b. It is fitted to the engine and comes on when I turn the key - no separate switch. It also makes a clicking sound (it's solid state, not a centrigal or diapham pump).
It makes no sense to have a separate switch for a fuel pump, and if it were the engine would not run if it was off.
post #25 of 46 Old 05-15-2008

Could be a number of things but as LarryandSusan said, just trace bthe wires and see where they go. That's the best way to be sure.
post #26 of 46 Old 05-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I have electric fuel pump on my Westerbeke 30b. It is fitted to the engine and comes on when I turn the key - no separate switch. It also makes a clicking sound (it's solid state, not a centrigal or diapham pump).
It makes no sense to have a separate switch for a fuel pump, and if it were the engine would not run if it was off.
I know several folks who wired in an 'extra' fuel pump for when their filters clog and the fuel can't get through. It's for emergencies. If it's inline with the fuel line, it certainly can't be a bilge blower. It has to be something related to the fuel. It must be in the open position so fuel can get through normally.
The only other option would be a fuel polishing system but I doubt that's it.
Scott
Schucker 50 GOLDIE: Pilothouse Motorsailer for sale
post #27 of 46 Old 05-16-2008

I use to put switches and valve handles on my console for those who can't keep their fingers off of anything. A long with a plaque that says do not adjust or turn on/off.
You will be surprised at the number of people who mess with those items.

1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
post #28 of 46 Old 05-16-2008
Reward for lost Kraken!

Could be the old engine had a fuel pump failure, and the owners chose to add a generic electric pump instead of replacing the OEM one. They might have just bypassed a failed mechanical diaphragm pump or something else. Then simply ignored or overlooked the 'extra' pump when the repower was done. Certainly if they contracted that out--the guys who put the new one in could have said "What's that? Dunno, leave it alone' and left it there.

Or, someone might have installed it as a cheap antitheft measure, i.e. if someone drunk & looking to joyride tried to start the original engine--it wouldn't run without fuel, and the "pay no attention to me" secret switch.

If you are sure the switch makes the pump run, and the pump is a flow-through type (doesn't block the flow when it is off) then leaving it be should be harmless. Or you can disconnect it and run a new seamless fuel line if you prefer "less stuff less surprises".

Can you still contact the PO to ask them what it was all about?
post #29 of 46 Old 05-16-2008

Stop flipping the switch. Seriously. If my garage opens one more time in the middle of the night, we're going to have a problem.

____

Fuel pump, pressurized water pump, blower, second bilge pump - could be anything. If you think the pump in your fuel line is a likely source, can you feel a vibration on the housing when the switch is on?

-Jason

post #30 of 46 Old 05-16-2008

Quote:
Fuel pump, pressurized water pump, blower, second bilge pump - could be anything. If you think the pump in your fuel line is a likely source, can you feel a vibration on the housing when the switch is on?
Any one else here think the SailNet advertising links are a little out of control?

-Jason

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.