Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Screw that! Cannon of tequila, Mrs. T's margarita mix, turn the damn switch on and make margaritas!

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
My boat has one...but all electric pumps I ever heard put out a pulsating sound
Old 05-15-2008

Schuckerman is on a distinguished road
Could be an electric fuel pump to help force the fuel through if the fuel filter(s) get clogged
Old 05-15-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I have electric fuel pump on my Westerbeke 30b. It is fitted to the engine and comes on when I turn the key - no separate switch. It also makes a clicking sound (it's solid state, not a centrigal or diapham pump).
It makes no sense to have a separate switch for a fuel pump, and if it were the engine would not run if it was off.
Old 05-15-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Could be a number of things but as LarryandSusan said, just trace bthe wires and see where they go. That's the best way to be sure.
Old 05-15-2008

Schuckerman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I have electric fuel pump on my Westerbeke 30b. It is fitted to the engine and comes on when I turn the key - no separate switch. It also makes a clicking sound (it's solid state, not a centrigal or diapham pump).
It makes no sense to have a separate switch for a fuel pump, and if it were the engine would not run if it was off.
I know several folks who wired in an 'extra' fuel pump for when their filters clog and the fuel can't get through. It's for emergencies. If it's inline with the fuel line, it certainly can't be a bilge blower. It has to be something related to the fuel. It must be in the open position so fuel can get through normally.
The only other option would be a fuel polishing system but I doubt that's it.
Scott
Schucker 50 GOLDIE: Pilothouse Motorsailer for sale
Old 05-16-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I use to put switches and valve handles on my console for those who can't keep their fingers off of anything. A long with a plaque that says do not adjust or turn on/off.
You will be surprised at the number of people who mess with those items.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 05-16-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Could be the old engine had a fuel pump failure, and the owners chose to add a generic electric pump instead of replacing the OEM one. They might have just bypassed a failed mechanical diaphragm pump or something else. Then simply ignored or overlooked the 'extra' pump when the repower was done. Certainly if they contracted that out--the guys who put the new one in could have said "What's that? Dunno, leave it alone' and left it there.

Or, someone might have installed it as a cheap antitheft measure, i.e. if someone drunk & looking to joyride tried to start the original engine--it wouldn't run without fuel, and the "pay no attention to me" secret switch.

If you are sure the switch makes the pump run, and the pump is a flow-through type (doesn't block the flow when it is off) then leaving it be should be harmless. Or you can disconnect it and run a new seamless fuel line if you prefer "less stuff less surprises".

Can you still contact the PO to ask them what it was all about?
Old 05-16-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Stop flipping the switch. Seriously. If my garage opens one more time in the middle of the night, we're going to have a problem.

____

Fuel pump, pressurized water pump, blower, second bilge pump - could be anything. If you think the pump in your fuel line is a likely source, can you feel a vibration on the housing when the switch is on?

Old 05-16-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Fuel pump, pressurized water pump, blower, second bilge pump - could be anything. If you think the pump in your fuel line is a likely source, can you feel a vibration on the housing when the switch is on?
Any one else here think the SailNet advertising links are a little out of control?