Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011
Scurvy Dog

Reef33 is on a distinguished road
Hey, thanks Klem. I thought so, about getting enough torque while treading water. I guess I'll try to catch it at maximum low tide and see if I can do it without SCUBA gear. If not, I guess I'll go rent gear. Still much cheaper than hiring someone.

And I completely agree with your analysis of the anchor trilogy. Anchors are designed for directional forces. Helix are non-directional. You could plant 3 Helix right next to each other and have the same amount of redundant protection. If the 1st one pops out the load then goes to the second, etc. As for load, the 8" Helix could hold my boat if the world turned upside down and the boat was hanging from the anchor. No competition as far as holding power of a Helix. Plus they're about 1/10th the cost!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2011

YARDPRO is on a distinguished road
i wanted to give an update on the helix system.
I have had it in for a while now and dove down to check it after we had a direct hit from hurricane irene... helix anchors are fine and dandy. We are getting some corrosion on the first few feet of chain that connects to the stainless cable.. i am thinking about adding some zincs to see if that will help with that issue.

I did not have boat on my mooring in the storm, but three boats got hung up on my mooring and it held a 24 foot sailboat, a 22 foot sailboat and a 31 foot motorboat all broadside in direct eyewall winds for several hours. the float pendant finally chafed through letting the boats go...

the only two boats that made it through the storm in my area were on helix anchors as well. there was a 30 Catalina that chafed a pendant and went wandering about, but the helix held.. no issues.

I am now a die hard fan of these systems... we had a tropical storm come through last fall... no problems.... several high wind events with gusts over 80 mph. several boats have come loose, but mine, and all the other helix anchors have held solid.
Old 08-22-2012

goodone1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Installed a helix mooring anchor last weekend...

Hi there,
Helix anchors are virtually unknown in Australia and impossible to buy. I've been searching and emailing for nearly a year now. Does anybody know of a company that will ship to Australia?
cheers
Sean
Old 08-22-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Not surprising, Sean. That was the situation in the US a short few years ago, you could only buy one from a gen-you-whine certified installer who came along to install it.

Utility companies apparently use them to secure guy wires for poles, and the heavy galvanized products they use seem to be up to marine use. You've probably got them in that market.
Old 08-22-2012

HelloSailor
Thank you. I'll follow that lead. I'm also exploring the option of having them fabricated. I don't have a strong math background so I feel like the blind leading the blind.
Sean
Old 08-22-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Sean, there are also helical mixing "screws" used in industrial mixers. To mix up paints, foods, cement mortar type products, all sorts of things in huge quantities.

Most of that stuff is fabricated in stainless steel, so if you can find a local shop that fabricates stainless for large machine parts, for industrial customers, food service, etc. they may also be familiar with fabbing up "helixes". Except in the anchor, you just need the bottom disc of the helix, not a whole screw of it.
Old 08-22-2012

HelloSailor. I've spoken to engineer(s) about making a helix anchor. Their response is "Yes it can be very easily done" but thats as far as they go. I'm definitely not a 'difficult' customer and cannot understand why somebody will not take the job on.

I think part of the problem is that I cannot specify exactly what I need; in terms of pull-out strength, windage of the boat and soil cohesion of the swamp marsh it will be screwed into because I do not have the expertise. I have gathered lots of data but need to find someone to pull it all together. It's not rocket science but it's not something they want to take on.

Thanks for you input. Perseverence furthers.
Old 08-23-2012
Scurvy Dog

Reef33 is on a distinguished road

goodone1, Hello Mate! Helix's are still pretty unusual in my area, too. You mention a Helix around here and people look at you funny. Most Hillbillies where I live will throw an old engine block or something in the water and call that a mooring!

Anyway, here are a couple of links that might help you, the first is the maker of Helix. The fellow there always replies to my emails very quickly. He might be able to work out shipping for you. The second link is where I bought mine. Good Luck to you!

Helix Mooring
ANCHORS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scourge of the Upper Chesapeake since 1993.
Old 08-23-2012

Aarrrrgh Scurvy Dog!
Thanks heaps
Wilco
Sean
Old 11-03-2012

Harry Tams is on a distinguished road

New to forum. Tried to provide a link but wasn't permitted. If you google Octopus or Wombat mooring and have a look, I'd be very interested in what you think about this helix anchor (Wombat) and the attached springer system (Octopus) designed and sold in Western Australia. Any thoughts?

Harry
Tasmania