Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Flares are legally required and are useful in some situations. However, don't assume that they will be seen or, if seen, acted upon. Many boaters are clueless and will just assume someone's shooting off fireworks.

I have personally seen one situation which made me very distrustful of flares...even very bright ones.

One dark night a Mayday was broadcast by two older gentlemen who had run their sailboat aground when entering the Rappahannoc River in the Chesapeake Bay. They were in 4' of water, the wind was blowing 15 knots or so, it was cold, and they were very scared. They had a handheld VHF and a bunch of flares.

They said they could "see the bridge", i.e., the big highway bridge over the river, but didn't have an exact location. The Coast Guard ran their 41-footer all the way from the river entrance to the bridge and back again. Several times. They also overflew the area with a chopper. A commercial towing service also did the same track. Nothing. The old guys shot off several flares. Coast Guard didn't see anything.

Finally, the Coast Guard said, "OK, we're gonna shoot off a flare which will light up the whole East Coast. Tell us when you see it." They did. The old guys saw nothing. Clear night. Distances were small. Yet no one saw anything.

Coast Guard began to think this was a hoax. I was anchored in a neighboring river just to the south, and had heard the whole thing. I told the Coast Guard I could hear the guys clearly, and they sounded scared.

After almost 3 hours of searching, a Navy SAR team in a chopper from the Norfolk area found them....they had run aground on a prominent sandbar on the north side of the river, about halfway between the river's entrance and the bridge. Just where you'd expect them to be. Yet, no one saw them for upwards of 3 hours, despite having considerable resources on site.

Moral: flares are good, but don't assume they'll save your bacon. Handheld VHF's are mandatory. Keep them charged and, if possible, have extra batteries. And, in these days and times, have a working battery-powered GPS so you can report your exact position. By the way, some new handheld VHF's have built-in GPS receivers. Neat!

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 05-19-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
One more device to have that I just bought is a satellite emergency messenger. EPIRBs exist but are expensive and, other than in emergency (which IS a big deal) don't do anything.

I just got the SPOT satellite messenger. It tracks your position by GPS, can send tracking messages that show up on the map (Google maps) so anyone can track your progress. They also have an emergency button which will send emergency request through their center which will contact appropriate authorities (USCG for boats), very much like EPIRB. It uses Globalstar satellites, and needs clear view of the sky (so works so-so in the city) - works perfect on a boat, though, as I tested it this weekend. Every message got through.

Spot Messenger > Home is where they are. It requires annual service (at either $100 for basic emergency + on demand OK messages) or $150 for tracking. This must be good when all else fails, for the cost of good hand held radio, and has other uses too.
Old 05-19-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
There was something in Practical Sailor recently (or maybe Ocean Navigator) on the SPOT system that made me think it wasn't ideal...I'll try to look it up.
Old 05-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Coverage is somewhat limited in certain parts of the world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-19-2008
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Coverage is somewhat limited in certain parts of the world.
Sure, middle of the Pacific isn't great. I think someone venturing that far would do well to get a real EPIRB. Globalstar network has two bands - the duplex band used for phone service is not doing great (who knows, they are working on it - they are the only financially viable option anyway, Iridium is just out of this world in terms of pricing). The simplex band which this messenger is using is actually in good shape - they've been using it for remote telemetry and such, and just figured out the messenger idea (amazing, took them what - 10 years? ).

Coverage is certainly available anywhere vast majority of boaters would ever be - even across Atlantic in most places and certainly hundreds of miles offshore. These guys on Chesapeake would have benefitted from the device for sure.

It is a bit picky about sky view (though it turned out to be a non-issue on the boat, as I hoped it would). The good thing is, you get to test the connection all the time, using tracking messages so there is an easy way to know the system is working end to end. And if you send a distress signal, it also goes to a list of emails or phones so presumably if the guy at emergency response center is asleep - someone else would intervene.

Lack of these options is what always worried me about EPIRB. There is no way to test them now, as there is no "test window" or anything, so when the time comes, you push a button for the first time really and hope that it works. As a "computer guy" I don't trust systems whose first use is when it can't fail.
Old 05-19-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I discovered the Spot a few weeks ago. I'm getting one for the kids to keep in the car. Finally an affordable sat safety device. If they lie to me about where they are I can make them ping the sattelite. heh heh heh

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 05-19-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by retclt View Post
If they lie to me about where they are I can make them ping the sattelite. heh heh heh
I love it!!!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-19-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Or just leave put a GPS in the car and have it save the track.
Old 05-19-2008
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retclt View Post
I discovered the Spot a few weeks ago. I'm getting one for the kids to keep in the car. Finally an affordable sat safety device. If they lie to me about where they are I can make them ping the sattelite. heh heh heh
I tested it in the car, in the city and in a few other places (parks, stores etc). The bottom line is - it needs just as much clear sky as GPS and more. So, if it is in the car - it has a high chance of not working or taking a very long time to send a message. In my car it worked reasonably well as long as it was on the dashboard right under the windshield, looking up. If it is moved even a bit under the metal roof of the car - it won't be able to send any messages. It also does not work very well under trees - no messages got through at all when I was in a park with medium density tree cover.

So, personally, I would use it on a boat (and I plan to keep it on board and operational at all times) but on land it's usefullness is limited, in my opinion.
Old 05-19-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Good point.

My GPS didn't do a darn bit of good in the cities of Rome, Munich, Naples. That's where I needed it the most. I was constantly lost.

I'll make them go out in the middle of the yard and ping it.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.