Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
What did you do this weekend? May 18, 2008

OK.. Let's try this out....

Let's hear about what you did (sailing-related) last weekend. Pictures are encouraged.

I'll start:

This was an unusual May weekend in Seattle with temperatures hitting the mid-80's. I went on three "dinner cruises" which consist of sailing from my home port of Edmonds to the little town of Kingston, which is about 5 miles, usually a nice reach.

On Thursday, I took a colleague sailing (he used to have a San Juan 28)... We reached around for a few hours, and headed for the guest slips (free for two hours!) at Kingston. We had fish and chips in the little hole-in-the-wall restaurant there and sailed home at about sunset. Winds were about 10-15kts on the beam.. A wonderful sail!

On Friday, I took some other friends sailing. Another dinner cruise. We left at about 7PM and headed to the same restaurant. We got back an hour after sunset. We enjoyed 0 - 10 kt winds on the beam again. One of my crew left her jacket on board sooo.....

We were forced to go sailing AGAIN on Saturday and pick up her jacket. This time with the Admiral and the kids. Winds were about 12 kts from the south. 2/3 of the way to Kingston the wind just STOPPED. Two minutes, it started coming from the north at 10 knots with gusts to about 18kts. Winds here are pretty fluky. We pulled into our now regular slip at Kingston and cooked hotdogs on the BBQ (It's a Catalina after all!) We got ice cream and headed back, arriving around 10:00 PM. I am proud to say that my 14-year-old daughter Hope sailed the boat the whole way, including in and out of the slips. She's an aspiring photographer, and has granted me permission to post some of the pictures she took.

A great weekend.!

Your turn.. What did you do this weekend?

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
What did you do this weekend?
drank beer ...oh yeah, and started plotting course for our trip in a couple of weeks. looks like you had fun though. tell Hope that she takes nice pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 05-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Was the first and last customer at West Marine on Saturday. Unsuccessfully worked on the fuel / engine start problem, but replaced the broken ignition switch that was super glued together by previous PO. Drank lbeer and spent the evening on my friend's Carver with his family and had dinner. Sun, bought more stuff to throw at the problem, did a bunch of re-wiring, had a afternoon shower in diesel fuel, got frustrated - but remained diligent. After another no-go day and being wildly disspointed on missing the entire weekend not being able to take my boat out for my first sail - spent the evening BBQing chicken on said Carver and made a side dish of potatoes, onions and black eye peas for my friends on the Carver - whom supplied me with more beer.

Tomorrow - more of the same most likely except maybe this time I will hook up my two BBQs and grill on my boat instead....

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 05-19-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Great day racing friday for Seattle NOOD races, saturday started off slow with a 1 hr delay, no wind, wind came in, RC coulc not figure out how to set a course.....grrrr........finally got one class going, then called them back, then major malfunctions in 2nd race, did not make 3 rd race........more GRRRRRRRRR.

Sunday, 1st race got off. Then canned as the wind died. moved course south, wind died even more, no racing! sitting for 4 hrs on the water, not moving. At least the beer was cold!

Rather sunburned dispite wearing sunscreen!

Marty
Old 05-19-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Worked . . . at work . . . . . . . during PERFECT sailing weather.

I am happy to be employed . . . so no complaints.

You lucky bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 05-19-2008

Insails is on a distinguished road
Sailed....
Old 05-19-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Did a 4 hour daysail on Saturday morning. Very enjoyable sustained 10-15 knots winds with gusts up to 25 knots. Started out kind of gloomy but improved as the afternoon rolled in. Had planned to do a shorter sail but the wind was blowing straight down the channel from the moorings...tack, tack, tack, tack
Old 05-19-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Sunday Sail Only

Unfortunately, I was only to get out once over the weekend. The wife was getting her Admiral's bar during her Graduation Cruise in Boston Harbor on Saturday. We were also having a party at our house that night, so while she was sailing, I spent they day getting the house and food ready. Damn it looked like real nice sailing weather though.

Sunday we went out of Salem Harbor on our boat. It was blowing like snot in the harbor, but as soon as we got out of the harbor is was real calm. Wind speed 0 to 2 knots. We had to motor out a little further into the Sound to get into the breeze, then we went like gang busters for 3 h well beyond Bakers Island.

Wind cooperated on the way back until the same section just outside of our harbor. Here the wind shifted every 30 seconds, which prompted us to use the iron sail to get back into the harbor, where it was blowing like snot again.

A very nice sail with some decent conditions once we found them.

DrB
Old 05-19-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Taught sailing on a sport boat out on Lake Pontchartrain, nice day. First group of four were beginners, light air, beat out and jibe/jibe home. Got to watch some bigger boats racing, which helps the instruction. The main part of it is getting them to where each can keep the boat reasonably balanced close-hauled. Then the rest of the reaching and running aside from the jibes) is a piece of cake.

Second group had had a lesson or two already, or a little prior experience. Same deal, but better breeze, and downwind we set and jibed the assym spinnaker. I tell them, "any time you set up a spinnaker, there are about nine ways to mess it up, and I can usually think of seven of them". So there's always a sheet on the wrong side of something, and re-leading it is part of the lesson I guess.
Old 05-19-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I put the boat in the water when it was 48 degrees and 20kt winds, so no sailing for me yet. This weekend looks perfect though.

I also ordered a new outboard, I'm going to try out the Briggs and Stratton air cooled 5hp outboard, should be simple and reliable since it won't be used much, just for dock maneuvering and emergencies.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.