Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008
women who sail

sailondreams is on a distinguished road
Hey, folks, can we keep the comments on this accident to very carefully thought out stuff. The yacht in question did have a boom brake, you are only relying on press reports. There are reasons you don't know about why this lady was taken off the boat, not relating to her sailing ability, which has been misreported - as always, the press were not accurate. She also has internet access and we are doing what we can to limit her exposure to further duress. Please be considerate of her feelings, please consider that you may not have the facts, and please be thoughtful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
We have a steel boat with galvanized pipe rails instead of lifelines. Seeing as I am already a bicycle rider and am fairly scrupulous about wearing a helmet, it would be no hardship at all to wear helmets in heavy weather. Simply losing my footing could cause a fatal head smash I insisted my wife wear one going up the mast on the principle that she might clear the boat only to hit the deck on the way down.

Just food for thought...it's the middle of the ocean...who cares if you're wearing just half-gloves and a helmet?
Old 05-19-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
While she has my condolences, stories like this are the very reason I highly recommend installing a boom brake on a boat, and also why I insist that both people in a sailing couple be able to singlehand the boat. If her husband had not been killed but instead had been knocked overboard by the boom, I do not think, from the way the article describes things, that she would have been able to effect a successful MOB recovery.
Hah...and I was just about to say that made my point about NOT needing to know how to sail. What she needed to do was get the sails DOWN and turn the engine on...especially if she was gonna try a single handed recovery of a man overboard. Making contact with others for assistance was the other "must learn". I DO entirely agree about the need to have a boom brake or preventer rigged.
Sorry for the family in any event.

EDIT...just read the rest of the thread. To clarify...I mean NO disrespect to the wife...she made contact and got help and that in itself is a good thing. I am just commenting on the THEORY of what wives really need to know if the worst happens to hubby at sea which we were discussing the other day.
Old 05-19-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
While she has my condolences, stories like this are the very reason I highly recommend installing a boom brake on a boat, and also why I insist that both people in a sailing couple be able to singlehand the boat. If her husband had not been killed but instead had been knocked overboard by the boom, I do not think, from the way the article describes things, that she would have been able to effect a successful MOB recovery.
Nice!

This is to get around the too short to post comment.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 05-19-2008
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Another recent death caused by a boom--http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/newsarticle.aspx?page=S633330578930692340&ArchiveID=1&CategoryID=71&ItemID=3379&src=
Old 05-19-2008

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
My initial reluctance to fully participate in sailing our boat vanished the day I watched the Coast Guard bring in a man on a stretcher, followed by his wife and young (13 yr old) son in their 40+ft cruiser, 5 min later. They both were white-faced, white knuckled, doing well over 6 kts in a no wake zone, struggling to get to the dock, get to land. Luckily there was a crowd of boaters to talk them into the dock with minimal damage to boat or pier.

Being scared to sail is NOTHING compared to being scared because you CAN'T sail and HAVE to. Now, I learn what I need to learn, do what I need to do, so we BOTH can rely on each other.
Old 05-19-2008

tommie is on a distinguished road
Hi, just a matter of interest to all you good folk,,I was in the area where the accident happened.( I had just purchased a Roberts 34ft Yacht at Urangan,Hervey Bay). We couldnt do a sea trial on my purchase because the sea was really much to rough to attempt it,with over 30 knot winds and the PO was a very experienced sailor.I have powerboated round this area,Fraser Island, for many years,the seas can be calm one minute and pure hell the next.At the time the Marina was full of craft,both fishing and pleasure who wouldnt attempt to go out in those conditions, this is only the second time I have got in here,hope I am not classed as a "Lurker", sorry to see Alex has left as I have learned a lot from his posts,hope he comes back soon,,regards Tom
Old 05-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well said MMR... Take care of Chuckles for us...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR View Post
My initial reluctance to fully participate in sailing our boat vanished the day I watched the Coast Guard bring in a man on a stretcher, followed by his wife and young (13 yr old) son in their 40+ft cruiser, 5 min later. They both were white-faced, white knuckled, doing well over 6 kts in a no wake zone, struggling to get to the dock, get to land. Luckily there was a crowd of boaters to talk them into the dock with minimal damage to boat or pier.

Being scared to sail is NOTHING compared to being scared because you CAN'T sail and HAVE to. Now, I learn what I need to learn, do what I need to do, so we BOTH can rely on each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-19-2008
women who sail

sailondreams is on a distinguished road
dont believe the media

Hey, will you lot listen...glynis sure does know how to sail, the press did not report what actually happened. she was forced off her boat when the police and vmr got aboard. and i do mean forced off, as in given no choice about what she wanted to do. you have no idea also about the circumstances of the death, so comments about cpr are guesses made by reading media reports that are Not Accurate, okay?

Does anyone actually read all the way through any posts? This boat had a boom brake fitted, and the rest of the story is Not Accurately Reported in the media. Can we please be considerate - a tragic accident has occurred, and the people who were involved in the accident have a high need for respect.

Those of us who knew Colin and were in the port that his body was taken to got to say a very terrible goodbye to him this morning. We are pretty upset, and we ask to to consider that the media reports are Wrong....
Old 05-19-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I've been thinking about this poor woman all day. I can't imagine the horror of what she's gone through. MMR's post (#16) really sums it up for me. Excellent point!

I was a lurker (not a bad term) until I saw a gang beat up on a sailor over religion so I had to jump into the fight. I took some hard blows (Wombat) but what a great place this turned out to be.

Prayers out from our house to the subject!

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White