Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
Moral Question...no, not that!

When is it sticking your nose where it doesn't belong and feeling like being a heel if you don't say something? As a spring-fall live aboard I see a lot that goes on at the marina and dock. Recently a diver came to the dock to do a first dive of the season on a boat that has been in the water all winter. Now, true, it is early in the season, so shouldn't be too much growth. But the diver was down-maaaayyyybe 5 minutes. Gathered their things and was gone. I see this type of thing happen all the time. I know you can't be present everytime someone works on your boat, but I encourage you, as a consumer to try every now and then to make an appearance when you know the workabees will be there. So when is it appropriate to say something and when should one just keep their mouth shut?

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
It is always right to tell a fellow boater a contractor may have stiffed him.

Not anti-contractor, just pro-boater/consumer.
Old 05-20-2008

ADMTROX is on a distinguished road
I agree with Chuck, if it were my boat, I would want to know.
Old 05-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
yes....and that way you can find out who to avoid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-20-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
without knowing what the diver was to do I would not say anything. Maybe he was just checking the bottom for growth in which case 5 minutes sounds fine to me. Tough call I'll admit.
Old 05-20-2008

vsailor is on a distinguished road
I would tell the boater how long the diver was there. Just as I would tell my neighbours on land how long someone worked at their house.

As they say: One hand washes the other and together they wash your face :-)
Old 05-20-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
That's a tough call, if you don't really know what his mission was, he may have been asked to just replaced a zinc, or just inspect the bottom for the condition of the BP.

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Reporting how long the diver was there isn't a bad thing... as long as you're being accurate about the length of their visit... If he was hired to just check on the condition of the bottom of the boat or replace a zinc, then five minutes may have been enough time... but if he was being paid to scrub the bottom, then it might be a problem... however, the person who owns the boat deserves to know how long the person was there... and if you find the diver was hired to scrub the bottom and says he had done so, while only being there five minutes... then you know who not to use.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-20-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I would leave a note for the owner of said vessel - but I would most likely think they merely were checking the zincs in which case if they were good five minutes is more than enough time. At my marina that is a common thing (not so much the scrubbing the hull - but zincs because they seem to go shot after 3 months...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 05-24-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
And this is how I handled it. When the boat owners came down, I mentioned to them that I saw their diver. Asked which company it was and said, "Wow, they were fast-did you simply have them come and check the zinc? How much do they charge for just that service?" Long story short, I was happy I mentioned it. The diver was back the next day to "clean" the bottom of their boat. Something they should have done the first time around. Again, if at all possible, be there when someone is working on your boat. A surprise visit can sometimes be an eye opener.

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37