Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
*WARNING* stupid question (maybe)

Sorry for the drama but I didn't want to step on any toes...

are there any boat colors that are bad luck? I'm not overly superstitious nor do I want to temp fate..

I seem to recall something about blue and green not being the best colors for boats...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
i am not aware of colors that are bad luck. You may want to consider however, dark colors will heat up the boats interior more.
Old 05-21-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
*ahem*

I have been told by a few people that green was bad luck. Without trying to tempt fate (or whatever), I'll say it's been good thus far.

I can tell you that it's a B!T@H keeping green gelcoat pretty. Wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off.....

As far as luck and unlucky goes... I know a woman who thinks shes soooo unlucky, but what she doesn't realize is that most of her "unlucky" could easily be avoided.

Example:
In the dead of winter she locked herself out of the house. Rather than call the landlord to let her back in she breakes a window, gets cut while climbing in, piles under a bunch of blankets because its now so cold inside, freezes and burts her pipes from the cold. Even if you resorted to breaking the window to get in, wouldn't you cover the gaping hole to keep the cold out some? Unlucky, or no common sense....you make the call.

Does nothing go wrong on a white hulled boat? Do white hull owners hit the lottery more than green hull owners (per capita of course)? Luck, fate, coincidence, divine intervention?????

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 05-21-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
An old superstition says that it is unlucky to paint a boat the colors of the sea, as the sea gods may think you're attempting to usurp their authority and they will smite you for it... however, given that the colors of the sea—typically blues, greens and white are very common boat colors, especially in the age of gelcoat... I don't know how valid this is anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-21-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I've never heard anything about bad luck but I believe dark hulled boats tend to fade and get chalky over time with sun exposure. That being said, I love dark green or blue hulls!
Old 05-21-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog hit it... Green's and Blues's etc...

Thanks all for the replies..

I can use the paint booth at work to paint my baby and there is/are 3 gallons of 'flag blue' that were mixed for a customer but never picked up (which means I can grab it cheap!)

Ok... well since I won't be naming the boat "storm rider" or "hurricane hunter" I guess Awl Grip flag blue will be just fine for Biscayne Bay... and the resident jerk-off power boaters...
Old 05-21-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
White!
Look at all the white boats that get damaged. If you have a white boat, you are tempting fate. I'm considering flat black. You don't see any flat black boats with damage, do you? Smart eh?
Old 05-21-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyka200s View Post
....3 gallons of 'flag blue' ...
AH, Giu's favorite color! Take lots of pictures.......
Old 05-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
you'd be better off with a hull this color:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-21-2008

blueranger is on a distinguished road
For a sponsor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
you'd be better off with a hull this color:

H & R Block is sponsoring sailboats now SD?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I never heard of bad luck associated with a color and sailing. I know in relation to kayaks and canoes I've heard make it an easy color to spot if it's upside down in a lot of foam, wave, and spray. Not sure if this applies to s/v's and there's a lot more productive things to do to cya.

Mike