Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Talking O.p.e.c.

Saltwater Suzi and I went out for a sail last weekend. We were struck by the very few power boats we saw out and about. (Expensive fuel, maybe? There's a good side to everything!))

Other than little dinghy sized boats, I think we saw only four. This is on the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis.

The four we saw were doing what they do - roaring through putting out a huge wake:the ones we used to call gassholes.

Discussion ensued among Captain and Crew, and we decided that they should now be called O.P.E.C. lovers. Which subsequently got shortened to O.P.E.C.'ers. And then we, for sake of brevity and clarity, further modified it to O'peckers. And then Smoky O'pecker.

This being a sailboat forum, I don't think we could offend too many (most sailboaters turned powerboaters are exceedingly polite and don't fall into the category of people we make fun of) I would like to know if any of you have come up for your own pet names for the rude, vulgar, nasty stinkboaters?

We could make a list:
  1. Gassholes
  2. Stinkboaters
  3. Smoky O'pecker
  4. Add yours here.
heheheheheheheheheh!

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I think you got lucky last weekend with it being very early in the season and spotty weather forecast.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Early on when we were in a 22' trailer sailer, we got rocked violently by some big wakes when passed closely by big power boats. We called 'em passholes.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 05-21-2008

Insails is on a distinguished road
If you had asked me on Sunday after one nearly ran me down in the harbor entrance ...I am sure I could gave gave him many names)..Don't know if I could post them here though as I respect the junior sailors)
Old 05-21-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nothing like being made to do the "Bayliner Be-Bop" after they roar past you on the half-step mere seconds after you finally got enough boat speed to have some steerage back from the last one that went by...

The lighter the air the closer they seem to like to pass.

But worst still are the harbour speed limit ignorers... their wakes and wash can and have done major damage to boats and docks. Holding them responsible for their actions, even if/when provided by law, is very tough to do.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-21-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
i just call them "Flea-Tards"...why? i dunno, i guess because in Vegas we have a slang name for undesirables

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 05-21-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I have a name but it's not suitable for this site!
Old 05-21-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Being bi-boatal (I have a 25ft Crownline 250Cr express cruiser ) I just call them rude.
A friend of mine who has been boating far longer than me calls them on the vhf, which is silly because they can't hear it.

Monster trawlers pushing hull speed are not as much conspicious consumers but make far larger wakes than 50 ft speed boats, but speed boats sure leave a lovely 40 gallon per hour cloud of assboat fumes.
Old 05-21-2008

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
and # 4= better them than me!
Old 05-21-2008

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Rude Boaters

Its not just stinkpotters that mar a good sail. Saturday we were out in really fine conditions with a rare NW wind, which allowed us to explore a part of the bay we normally avoid. So here we are close hauled on a starboard tack and notice two sailboats approaching from port. My initial judgement was that the lead boat, a J-24, would have to alter course and duck under my stern and that the follow boat would pass astern without altering course. Well the J-24 did not alter course or make indication of intent other than continue reaching on his port tack. So, I took the initiative and ducked under his stern, which then forced the follow boat to alter his course to avoid us. My thoughts were that the J 24 was rude and probably does not know what he was doing. So, its not just stinkpotters.
John