Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
My condolences also, sorry for the loss of your friend
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Chuck... i'm sorry to hear this. My condolances to you and everyone involved.

Very good points about wearing your PFD. I just bought Dad an auto-inflatable because he is getting up in his years and he was very appreciative and assured me that he will always wear it. You just never know when things will go awry and having the PFD on is a good first step in saving your own life. Last summer there was a death right in the channel in Oriental, NC... the wildlife officer who recovered the body said something that i will never forget: "In my 20+ years of service, I've never recovered a drowning victim that was wearing his PFD." which was to say .... that if you've got it on, you've got a good chance of surviving.

Sorry about my "tomorrow is a new day" comment in the other thread... i didn't see this until now and didn't realize the severity of the situation. My thoughts are with you and your community.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
A loss, sorry...
Old 05-22-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
My sincere condolences.
Old 05-22-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post

I appreciate the condolences and ask all of you to consider wearing PFD's when conditions are less than perfect. Mary (MMR) and I have already purchased and equipped our boat with auto inflatables just last month to encourage us to wear them more often. Man overboard drills are a necessary part of spring commissioning, but bear in mind the boat you fall from may not be able to affect a quick recovery - ask your self how long you can tread water when it's 50 degrees and choppy as stink out.

In my celebration of his life and passion for sailing there will be caution and reflection on possible lessons learned. I will no longer boast that my boat is safe and secure enough that I have no need for PFD's.
The crew of the Kyrie will all be wearing PFDs from now on.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 05-22-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Condolences, Chuckles. And sorry to hear about the loss of another Chesapeake sailor.

Water temps in the mid-upper Chesapeake have been hovering in the low 60's (F). I was out today and had to do some mooring pennant work, with hands immersed -- it was chilly but swimmable. So I would expect something more than just cold water at play here.

A pretty serious squall line passed over the mid-upper Bay yesterday evening while many clubs along the western shore were in the middle of the Wednesday Night races. I heard reports of 40+ knot gusts and knockdowns on the West River, just a bit south of Chuck's friend. That's some serious wind to manage, especially in racing mode when you're likely to be pressing on with a lot of canvas. It's easy to see how even a well-skippered boat could lose someone overboard in those conditions.

I invested in an auto-inflate PFD this spring and have been wearing it on my solo trips to the boat. I get funny looks and sometimes some ribbing from the marina staff, but stories like these reinforce the decision.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 05-22-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Chuck, I sorry to hear about your friend. When it is my time to go I want to go out sailing.
Old 05-22-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Very sorry. My condolences.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 05-22-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Condolences Chuckles. We sail in cold water and anyone outside the cockpit while underway on a nice day or anywhere but the cabin when in heavier weather, wears a PFD, no exceptions. If the weather comes up to SCA or better, PFD's are required whether in or out of the cabin. The water up here will KILL you.
Old 05-22-2008
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
May his spirit and his love of sailing crew with you in the future...
God bless him -