Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
God Rest you Mr. Reitan, you'll be missed by many.

Wednesdays won't ever be the same.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Our condolances to you and MMR
Old 05-23-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Saw this sad news in the paper this morning and immediately figured you knew him. Thinking of you. - D & J.E.
Old 05-23-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Chuckles,

You yourself have been quite open with your own health problems, and if it's any consolation at this point, your friend passed while sailing. He never had to swallow the anchor, or become too old to sail or to lose his sight or strength. It's bad he went, but he went doing what he presumably loved.

A club member in spring of '06 at our shop was painting his hull just prior to launch when he fell over in full and irreversible cardiac arrest. Apparently, he had contracted a nasty virus in Mexico (he was a film set carpenter and quite skilled) and this had led to something called cardio-myopathy...basically, the virus killed his heart muscle to the point where he was gone before he hit the gravel. Had he been revived, he would have needed an immediate heart transplant. He was just 42 years old.

The point? This guy really liked working on his boat. He and his wife (one of our vice-commodores) lived aboard and raced all summer, which is about the only time I can recall liveaboards campaigning their boat. In order to do this, he had built ingenious, lightweight stowage, so if you stepped aboard on a race night, you would have no clue that a couple lived on the boat six months a year.

So given that he, or your late friend, could've be hit crossing the road or some equally pointless way, maybe it eases the sting if only fractionally that a sailor died on or around his boat.
Old 05-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well said Valiente. There's a lot to be said for being out doing what you love when it is your time to go. Also, from all accounts I've seen, your friend had lived a full life, and was well liked and respected by his friends and colleagues...

Many people, like my late wife and my twin, have had their lives cut short without any real reason, far too young in both their cases.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-23-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Condolences on the loss of your friend, Chuck.

Sailing in water that cold needs better preventative measures than I'm accustomed to. And maybe there is no protection other than maybe sailing in a dry suit, to stop cardiac arrest (if that potential exists) from cold shock.

Still, sad event whether your freind was doing what he loved or not.

Andre
Old 05-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A dry suit would probably help quite a bit, since it would help prevent the cold water and sudden temperature drop in the body that generally induces cardiac arrest in cold water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Condolences on the loss of your friend, Chuck.

Sailing in water that cold needs better preventative measures than I'm accustomed to. And maybe there is no protection other than maybe sailing in a dry suit, to stop cardiac arrest (if that potential exists) from cold shock.

Still, sad event whether your freind was doing what he loved or not.

Andre

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-28-2008

meberman is on a distinguished road
Ceremony to honor Ralph Reitan on Magothy, 5/28

Those in the Annapolis/Baltimore area might be interested in coming out on Wednesday night, 5/28, to pay tribute to Ralph Reitan prior to the Magothy River Wednesday night races. Details on the memorial ceremony may be found at the magothysailing web site (this being my first sailnet post, it won't let me put in the full link...).

I sailed with Ralph on both his Tartan 10 and his Caliber 28 prior to that. He is responsible for my getting into competitive sailing. Here's hoping that we crowd the river in tribute to a great sailor.
Old 05-28-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
The Link Meberman refers to:
http://www.magothysailing.com/racing...anCeremony.pdf
Old 05-28-2008

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Very sorry to hear about your loss.