SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing death close to home

9K views 61 replies 42 participants last post by  SAILORDUDE01 
#1 ·
A good friend and sailing mentor of mine, Ralph Reitan died last night while sailing his boat, a Tartan 10 named Wabbit during the Wednesday night races MRSA) on the Magothy River last night (22 March).
He was the lead boat at the time and got hit by a gust which knocked him down. His crew threw hime a life ring and managed to get the boat back to him but by then he was in cardiac arrest.

Ralph was a well known and respected local sailor, currently serving as the Rear Commodore and webmaster of our yacht club (www.yccsc.org). He will be sorely missed by all.

Although I choose to celebrate his life and love of sailing rather than be fearful, the water will be a little emptier this year.

Chuck, current Commodore, YCCSC

Man hospitalized after falling off boat -- -- baltimoresun.com

He was pronounced dead after the article went to press.

#57 ·
Ralph Reitan tribute pictures posted

I have put pictures from the Magothy River Sailing Association tribute to Ralph Reitan from 5/28/2008 up on flickr.com. I was on Coyote, an Albin 43 powerboat, that was last to cross the honorary start line in tribute to Ralph. We had Ralph's wife and extended family on board with us.

I'm a new poster to Sailnet and can't yet post hyperlinks (strange restriction), so someone please reply to this post with the correct URL. The photos are at flickr/photos/meberman, where "flickr" is the URL of flickr.com.

#58 ·
I have put pictures from the Magothy River Sailing Association tribute to Ralph Reitan from 5/28/2008 up on flickr.com. I was on Coyote, an Albin 43 powerboat, that was last to cross the honorary start line in tribute to Ralph. We had Ralph's wife and extended family on board with us.

I'm a new poster to Sailnet and can't yet post hyperlinks (strange restriction), so someone please reply to this post with the correct URL. The photos are at flickr/photos/meberman, where "flickr" is the URL of flickr.com.
here ya go
Flickr: meberman's Photostream

#61 ·
I wasn't looking for bragging rights to last place! ;-) Being in the last "fleet" (they didn't anticipate powerboats, so they had us "start" after NS2), I was able to get pictures of the 50 or so boats that were in loose formation ahead of us. Quite a sight.

We didn't stay for the entire race - looked like it became a drifter and boats were still finishing after dark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.