Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I for one will not say a thing...can't judge anything from a photo, and specially not from that angle..

That's like posting a photo of a Ferrari and asking how fast is it going???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
GUI-

I didn't say anything about how the sail was trimmed... just that the wrinkles are telling me the halyard needs to be tightened, and the outhaul eased a bit. Without seeing the position of the boom relative to the boat, it could be overtrimmed or undertrimmed...and you'd never know.

Experience has taught me that most sailors overtrim their sails...and when in doubt, ease it out....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Update

Hi Guys,

Keep the comments coming. Next time I will try a little more halyard and a little less outhaul.

Here is a shot of the genoa (taken at the same time as the main). The headsail is a brand new UK Halsey dacron 140. I should have had the sheet lead a little further aft and the sheet a little tighter too.

Some other comments:
The vang was off (we were close hauled).
The traveler was pulled up so the boom was on centerline (I had the mainsheet as tight as possible, then pull the boom up with the traveler).

The boat felt good: not too much heel, good boat speed, not too much weather helm, etc.

One final comment: Last year was my first with this boat (1986 O'day 35 with shoal draft keel). I liked the boat, but not the way it sailed. It seemed slow, heeled too much, lots of weather helm, etc. I knew when I bought it that the bottom paint was in poor condition, and the headsail was original (20 year old Neil Pryde 150 genoa). Over the winter I redid the bottom (see previous posts), faired the keel, and bought a new sail.

The boat sails much much better.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Sail Trim-imga0001.jpg  

Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Looks like you need to tighten the jib halyard a bit too.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Looking at the pictures of the main; the halyard does not appear to be too slack (to me). The bolt rope on the luff is straight over the entire length of the sail so that tells me it is pretty tight already. The outhaul is too tight because you can see horizontal creases at the foot of the sail.

If the wind is good but the boat is not driving or has lee helm because of the 140; you could add draft to the main by hiking the traveler more and easing the mainsheet until the sail is centerline. Of course that would also increase your heel.

On your genoa; the main halyard is loose; the luff should be taught just the same as the mainsail. We tighten ours before we unfurl and loosen it a bit after re-furling.

Your jib looks like it is not sheeted in enough. The draft looks huge in that picture. We sheet our jib in until the clew pulls the sail in close to the spreaders and the draft of the sail moves forward nearer the luff. If the main is not sheeted down hard it will form a reverse bubble at the luff. Some sayt that it is OK for the reverse bubble to form; but I think it reduces the power of your main quite a bit. You will know when everything is properly trimmed because the helm will feel light and responsive.