SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sail Trim (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/43563-sail-trim.html)

BarryL 05-26-2008 10:19 PM

Sail Trim

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

This past weekend I did a lot of sailing (about 60 nm over three days).

How does this sail look?

Wind was about 15 kts, we were close hauled, at about 35 AWA. Main halyard was tight, outhaul was tight.

Comments welcome!

Barry

nolatom 05-26-2008 10:34 PM

Barry,

Hard to tell from a two-dimensional photo, but within those limits, it doesn't look bad at all. Draft looks to be about 40% aft, which is okay. Possibly you're overtimmed, the leech doesn't look like it has much twist aloft. Leech telltales may tell you if the top of the main should be a bit farther out or not.

Wrinkles on the mast and boom make it look like the former could be tightened a little, the latter loosened a little, but this is in the area of fine-tuning, and I could be wrong (happens frequently).

But basically, you look close enough for government work, maybe even closer....

Plumper 05-26-2008 10:45 PM

I agree with the luff not tight enough and the foot too tight.

sailingdog 05-26-2008 11:42 PM

In other words, a bit more on the halyard, a bit less on the outhaul. :D

sailingfool 05-27-2008 12:38 AM

Were you sailing with an overlapping headsail - if so I would think the jib was not trimmed closely enough as the main shows no backwind, or the main is overtrimmed - can't tell without seeing the telltales on the backside of the sail...

You might remove the luff telltales, they are useless on the main, move them to the belly of the sail, and you should locate the leech telltales so they trail off the leech in open air, that way you don't have to look at the back of the main to monitor proper airflow.

Valiente 05-27-2008 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plumper (Post 320388)
I agree with the luff not tight enough and the foot too tight.

I tend to agree, although without seeing the traveller position or how the mainsheet is set, it's hard to tell. It's obviously making the boat move and the ticklers look good.

SEMIJim 05-27-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolatom (Post 320382)
Wrinkles on the mast and boom make it look like the former could be tightened a little, the latter loosened a little, ...

I concur. Looks like the main halyard needed tightening, at least. I would've slacked-off the outhaul, first, got the luff tightened, then re-adjusted the outhaul for best shape and speed.

Lessee... 15 kts... 35 deg. AWA... Don't know anything about how your boat handles or what you were flying for a headsail, but you might've been able to use a bit of twist at the top for a bit more performance. Should've been no vang on that tack, traveller at the centerline, or perhaps a bit above, ease the mainsheet a bit. That would still get the boom and the bottom of the sail where they needed to be on that tack, but allow a bit of twist at the top. (But 1st the halyard and outhaul adjustments noted above.)

Otherwise: Based on the general shape and the tell-tales, the trim looks good :).

Jim

Valiente 05-27-2008 11:41 AM

Why can't we have more threads like this, that actually talk knowledgeably about sailing?

I am becoming one with the Portugee...

T34C 05-27-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 320562)
I concur. Looks like the main halyard needed tightening, at least. I would've slacked-off the outhaul, first, got the luff tightened, then re-adjusted the outhaul for best shape and speed.

Lessee... 15 kts... 35 deg. AWA... Don't know anything about how your boat handles or what you were flying for a headsail, but you might've been able to use a bit of twist at the top for a bit more performance. Should've been no vang on that tack, traveller at the centerline, or perhaps a bit above, ease the mainsheet a bit. That would still get the boom and the bottom of the sail where they needed to be on that tack, but allow a bit of twist at the top. (But 1st the halyard and outhaul adjustments noted above.)

Otherwise: Based on the general shape and the tell-tales, the trim looks good :).

Jim

I agree, more halyard, less outhaul, less mainsheet, and maybe move traveler up a bit after that if needed.

What boat are you sailing and what headsail is up?
(Sorry, just saw the O'day 35 in your signature.)

T34C 05-27-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiente (Post 320593)
I am becoming one with the Portugee...

Have you tried Shock therapy?:D