Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
Russ,
Look at the good side, you're already ahead of a lot of people who don't even know where their emergency tiller is, much less tried it.
True... I was listening to a sailing podcast about a race where they make people setup their emergency tiller, not just show that they have one. I thought that was a good idea, so the next time we got to the boat, I put it on to see how it worked. Glad I did that.

I also tested my manual bilge pump too... just to make sure. When you need these things is not the time to find out that they don't work.

The thing I didn't like the sound of was when we came into port, and I told a guy who helped us when we got in about all the issues... he said, yup, seems normal. Having an issue or two is normal I think... having that many was not normal in my opinion. I grew up on boats, power boats, game fishing and diving. We never had this number of issues crop up in one trip... which gave me new respect for my dad and his preparation, and made me realize I need to do alot of work getting my boat set up more reliably.

I had a look at the guy's boat who told me that... and yeah, I can see how that might be normal for him. But, I will do everything I can to not make that normal for me. I will prepare my boat, and myself, and my crew better each time.

This is going to be a fun summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Welcome back MG & good blog read. Your GF is definitely a keeper if she can go through all that and still want to go again! Next time out will be idyllic!
Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of having things go well have to do with massive amounts of preparation, which, if you don't own the boat, you really never see or realize.

Cam-

Going out in near gale force winds could seem idyllic if nothing breaks compared to what he went through...

Quote:
The thing I didn't like the sound of was when we came into port, and I told a guy who helped us when we got in about all the issues... he said, yup, seems normal. Having an issue or two is normal I think... having that many was not normal in my opinion. I grew up on boats, power boats, game fishing and diving. We never had this number of issues crop up in one trip... which gave me new respect for my dad and his preparation, and made me realize I need to do alot of work getting my boat set up more reliably.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
I will check out the Lavacs and add it to my list. I have more important things on their right now though.
When you get around to the head, you may also want to check out a composting toilet... I read a blog about a live aboard that is using one here. So far, he seems happy.

I have NO experience with them myself. But, if I were to replace a head, I would definitely check them out.
Old 05-27-2008
H27 "Shady Lady"

Greenman is on a distinguished road
That was a great read, informative and well written. Thank you, I look forwards to reading more in the future.
Old 05-28-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Good story and lot's of good lessons learned. You should be pretty proud of yourself for fixing/solving all that went wrong and apparently keeping your cool throughout. Think of it this way; you gained several seasons experience in one week, and you still have a girlfriend that wants to go sailing with you. Things could be a lot worse. Thanks for a good read.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-28-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Murphy was an optimist. Great read.

Please support my
Old 05-28-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
You said ..

Quote:
Lesson #2: Carry 2 spares for everything. When something breaks, have the spare, and have the second spare for when the first spare breaks while waiting for the order.
I wanted to add here that another way of doing this that I have read about and now try to do myself is when you buy a spare, install it! Then use your original as the spare. That way you know how to install it, you know you have the tools to install it, you know you have all of the parts you need, etc.

Working on a boat isn't like working on a home project. At home you can just jump in the car and run to the hardware store to pick up that little washer you dropped, or the screw that the manufacturer neglected to send along, etc. On a boat it's often .. well, slightly more difficult to get to the hardware store.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 05-28-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not a bad idea..but some parts don't do well as used spares... and others aren't worth the hassle of installing. Head pumps are one thing that you generally leave well enough alone unless absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I wanted to add here that another way of doing this that I have read about and now try to do myself is when you buy a spare, install it! Then use your original as the spare. That way you know how to install it, you know you have the tools to install it, you know you have all of the parts you need, etc.

Working on a boat isn't like working on a home project. At home you can just jump in the car and run to the hardware store to pick up that little washer you dropped, or the screw that the manufacturer neglected to send along, etc. On a boat it's often .. well, slightly more difficult to get to the hardware store.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-28-2008

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
All the way through the ending, where you were motoring into the marina I was expecting the next thing to be the same as what happened to me once...

We had just a finished a major overhaul including lovely two pack paint on topsides and deck. Fresh varnish on the rub rail, the whole works.
So we need to motor away form the working area and back into the normal berth. Easiest way to do this si also the most fun, just motor all the way out through the canal and then turn around in open water and come back in and take the canal branch to "home". Did al the geting out part, needed to give the engine some extra revs after the turn around to come back into the canal on a wave, once in immedieatly go to slow the motor and find the throttle is jammed wide open! (well, it was once I jiggled it, it wouldn't decrease, so I gave it a shove to loosen it, it went into wide open just fine, and wouldn't come any way back at all.) So we are blasting along this narrow canal, the diesel does not have a kill switch that works independently of the throttle and we are in a boat that has just cost a fortune to make pretty. No room to turn around....Scant second to do anything at all. It was interestiing.

I was so expecting you to get there with your tale too.

Glad you didn't.

Sasha

P.S It all turned out fine for us too.