Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008

apkaplan is on a distinguished road
Another way to live the dream

Iíve been messing around with sailboats a few years and spend an inordinate amount of time at the dock. I notice quite a few sailboats that donít seem to benefit from proper maintenance. I was thinking about offering my services as a sailboat concierge or property manager. Is there such a thing? Seems like some folks may be willing to pay for someone to fuss over their boat. Please donít take this a back handed solicitation as Iím just thinking about it at this point. Is this a potentially worthwhile service?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The megayachts probably do something very similar... but for it to pay off on smaller boats, you'd have to have a group of them as clients in a relatively small area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Lots of folks in that business around here. Absentee owners want their boat ready to go (regardless of size) when they get here. They go by such unique names as Dock Ratz etc. They will take care of your boat, clean it and have it ready in every respect for you to go sailing if you want. I think it gives them a break on insurance when someone checks the boat regularly.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 05-27-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The only limit, is how much you want to put into.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-27-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
I think it's a great idea.

Old 05-27-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I also think it's a good idea. Lots of boats sit on moorings or in slips 98% of the time (or 100%). Down south, they never get hauled out, either. The formerly white fiberglass turns green with mold, and the brightwork looks like crud.

Ask around and find out what others have done in setting up a business. If you're in a different area than they, they'd probably be willing to give advice.

Another thought: You might get scuba certified, and then for some of those southern "slip queens", you could scrub off the bottom every six months or so, and market yourself as cost-effective in avoiding a haulout until later.

But I don't know where you are geographically. I think northern boats have to get some maintenance just because they have to get hauled for the winter. But southern boats in slips are all too neglectable. Someone like you could fill the gap. Give it a try, it's all supply and demand. Leave a flyer on the "green" boats, maybe they'll call you (if they ever visit their boats that is).
Old 05-27-2008
SeŮor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
There are a few small outfits in the Narragansett Bay area that offer those services. It seems to be profitable, considering the amount of floating real estate in this area. As with any business start-up, study the ones who have been successful for a few seasons and try to use similar approaches.

I see these people at our marina - Captain's Concierge, which is a division of Boat Nanny. I've used The Boat Guys for years for their shrinkwrapping services, but they also offer detailing and boat-maintenance.
Old 05-27-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I know a guy that does just that with a couple PB's, I think he's retired and has a nice little SB himself, he calls it his 401k plan

Another thing that's big is petsitting, it blows me away the amount of LA's with pets that are willing to pay 45 per pet per night to have someone check on them while the owner is away for whatever reason.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-27-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I'v been trying to figure out how to get MainSail to come over here and do just that...for me...
Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Still-

A big check with lots of zeros...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.