Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post

JRP-

I would hesitate to call Gui's boat a COASTAL racer/cruiser. It is designed to compete in offshore races as well as coastal ones AFAIK.
SD,

A poor choice of words on my part. What I intended to say is that when Giulietta was in the design stages, I'm fairly confident that the brief did not call for ocean-passage, long-distance cruising capability. I just get the impression from Giulietta's posts that he was not planning to sail his boat trans-ocean, and if he was I expect the design would look at least somewhat different.

I have no doubt the boat is plenty strong enough, and can handle very challenging conditions. I just don't think Giulietta has any intention of ever being caught out in a sustained hurricane with survival conditions. The boat has plenty of righting moment for its intended use, with more than enough to spare. That's the primary point I wanted to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I cannot imagine the seas that would pitchpole ANY boat... much less a multihull. The question is not, "What are my odds of being pitchpoled?", the question is, "What are the odds of ever seeing seas that could do it? AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT THERE?"

Come on... get real. Let's talk about real life not weathering the once in a century perfect storm or CAt 5 hurricane. I have never seen seas that would do something like that. I imagine very few people ever have.
- CD
CD,

For the record, I have seen a trimaran that pitch-poled. It was a Corsair F-27. We rendered assistance during the middle of the night. This occurred on CHESAPEAKE BAY, during the Governor's Cup race, in a good blow but no where near gale force.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumper View Post

Giu, that is not 30 degrees of heel or 30 knots of wind. Nice try!

Actually that was a big a** wave..that I posted in relation to the previous post somewhere about waves and such...

This is 30 knots wind...

and this is 35Deg heel, and moving...

Old 05-28-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Maybe this is a healthy debate, or maybe it's a debate which will only make adversaries of those who would otherwise be friends. But....

In post #21 I gave my opinion. Nothing since then (and this is a theme that has been hashed to death, I gather) has changed it. I could be suffering from the blinders of a monohull sailor. But, regardless of who reefs earlier, if nevertheless you find yourself with mast pointed towards the bottom of the ocean, would you like it to be a very temporary thing, before your hull's natural stability seeks to re-right itself, or a permanent thing?

I would vote the former. Plus, I like to sail upwind more than almost anything else, and tack on windshifts as they present themselves without having to wonder if it's worth it.

But of course I defer to those with more actual experience on either type of hull.....
Old 05-28-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
John,
IMHO F-27 Corsairs are racers not cruisers - so it one pitch poled it was being driven stupid (i.e. aggressive) not in cruise mode/trim.

I had a neighbor down river that just sold his F-27, we crossed paths one time on the Magothy. He was double handed I was single handed. I went tack on tack (total 4 tacks) with him and lost by about 300 yards over a 4 mile sail (half hour of hopping around for me).

I'll take that loss and throw in a queen sized bed and A/c any day.
Old 05-28-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Maybe this is a healthy debate, or maybe it's a debate which will only make adversaries of those who would otherwise be friends. But....

In post #21 I gave my opinion. Nothing since then (and this is a theme that has been hashed to death, I gather) has changed it. I could be suffering from the blinders of a monohull sailor. But, regardless of who reefs earlier, if nevertheless you find yourself with mast pointed towards the bottom of the ocean, would you like it to be a very temporary thing, before your hull's natural stability seeks to re-right itself, or a permanent thing?

I would vote the former. Plus, I like to sail upwind more than almost anything else, and tack on windshifts as they present themselves without having to wonder if it's worth it.

But of course I defer to those with more actual experience on either type of hull.....
The whole argument is a bit pointless. Anyone here personally know someone who rolled their cruising mono or flipped their cruising cat? I doubt it. The whole I want a cat because it doesn't sink or mono because it self rights argument is lame. Buy what makes you and the wife happy and don't justify your decision as the "safest" way to go based on nonsense. I bought it (or want one) because it makes me (and/or the wife) happy is more than good enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 05-28-2008
wantabe sailing

sailusvi is on a distinguished road
I personally would never buy an ex charter cat. The one I was looking at was a one owner family use cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I would make sure to look at all the offerings from Chris White Designs before investing in the ex-charter boats.
Old 05-28-2008
wantabe sailing

sailusvi is on a distinguished road
Just to clarify, the decision to buy a cat (if and when it happens) will be based solely on the enjoyment factor for Caribbean sailing with family and friends. There will be considerable time spent on the hook. That, along with the ability to access certain secret spots that require a shallow draft.
I personally prefer sailing a mono but ....

Thanks for the input from everyone!