Why wouldn't you want a catamaran? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 05-27-2008 Thread Starter
wantabe sailing

Why wouldn't you want a catamaran?

I know the majority of sailors here are mono hull guys but I was wondering "if" you could take off for a couple of years, spend 400K cash on a lightly used Fountaine Pajot Belize 43' and hang out in the BVI, USVI, and points further south, why would you not want to do it in a cat? We are a family of 5....... plus some guests now and then.
After bareboating a 44 lagoon out of Tortola my wife is hooked on cats. What say you?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-27-2008

Go for it...your choice....your taste...
post #3 of Old 05-27-2008

What would I say if I had an extra $400K lying around and a cat would make the family want to go cruising in the Carib?

ME-friggin'-OW!
post #4 of Old 05-27-2008
Señor Member

Quote:
my wife is hooked on cats.
Sounds like 51% of the vote has already been cast.

True Blue . . .
sold the Nauticat
post #5 of Old 05-27-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

For the Islands, where you anchor out most of the time, not making long passages, and want a good platform to play in the water, cats are great. But for that same 400K, I could buy a bigger monohull, and have a bunch left over, to stay longer.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of Old 05-27-2008 Thread Starter
wantabe sailing

BTW, I'm in my early 50's and have sailed mono hull's since the late 70's.

Come on Giulietta, thats all ya got?
post #7 of Old 05-27-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

I do not have an issue with Cats. I really like the Lagoons personally. But my decision to buy one really would be based off of where I was going to go. If I was going to the carib and slippage for wide boats like that was easily available (or mooring balls), I would highly consider it. You will be cruising, so that is a different lifestyle. But if I was going to be going to other parts of the US, namely S Florida, it would almost be completely off my list. The draw would be great, but finding a slip with that beam will be difficult and VERY pricey.

But like Giu said, go for it. If that is your area of interest and what you plan to do with it, I think it would make a great boat.

- CD

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

post #8 of Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

If I had $400,000 laying around...I'd buy smaller than a 40' trimaran, and have a lot more money in the cruising kitty and stay out as long as possible.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #9 of Old 05-27-2008
Broad Reachin'

Fair question. Given your scenario, the only personal reasons I can give are:

1) Catamaran prices (both initial cost and upkeep seem higher than a mono)

2) Aesthetics/taste - While there are many cats that are very desirable to me, there is also a part of me that likes the salty look/feel of a more traditional monohull.

Catalina 34

post #10 of Old 05-27-2008

Having you wife hooked on cats kind of settles it for you. However, CD's comment about finding a slip or mooring for one is a valid one and really limits your options about where to park the boat. I'm sure dockage is a tad more expensive because of that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.