Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008

Loewe is on a distinguished road
Beautiful here all weekend. Only one student on Saturday morning and then back on at the marina to watch the besotted stink potters show their ass....ets on the pool deck. I actually enjoy the opportunity to use them as examples of adults behaving badly for my kids. I have the same plan as you Eryka. Sail when all the nutters are working to pay their bar tab. Have about 8 of the Caribbean 1500 boats pulling in just now on their return trip. They have all been waiting out the low in Bermuda on their way back in. Interesting stories of wind blown sand damage are coming in. Will find out more tomorrow. Might be time for me to head down and do a few Awl Grip estimates Anyone in the neighborhood this weekend stop on by for the Blackbeard Festival. WX looks good so far.

Regards,
Red
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I got off loaded Friday, just in time for a weekend of climbing a 12' ladder up and down and up and down and up and down...

Fixing all the things the surveyor missed! (inside joke)

Highlite of the weekend was rigging up the antenna for the TV and watching the Redwings trounce the Pens on Hockey Night In Canada! Can one get a drunken boater citation on jack stands?
Old 05-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
We had docks full to the brim with transients here so I spent my weekend running around tying people up and getting paperwork done etc. but it was fun to plan out using every linear foot of space and electrical connection and have it all work out. Pet Peeves:
1. People who come into the docks totally unprepared in boats large and small. Some without ANY lines at the ready...many with lines too short to serve any useful purpose.
2. People who make a reservation and don't show up OR call. We lost money on several slips this way and also had to turn away boaters while we held those slips open. They'll go on our "list" !

In general though...most boaters are a pleasure to deal with and it is always fun to swap stories and introduce them to our town. Just don't get on my list!
Old 05-27-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Things were quite nice on Lake Norman. The wife had to work Sunday and Monday so she worked me in the yard all day Saturday. Then i went to the boat and motored over to a get toghether of reelly good freinds that live on the lake. Anchored off their peir and swam to the party with a change of clothes in a baggie (i don't have a dingy). Swam back out about 12:30. Boy that takes the buzz away fast. Played at trying to sail all Sunday with hardly any wind and then anchored off an island Sunday night and grilled a fat steak and enjoyed a bottle of red. Fell asleep before the movie i had rented got going good. No real idiots that i saw. They were all at the 600 race.
Old 05-27-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by citation34 View Post
It was too cold to go fast!
I suspect that's why the only PBs we saw were mostly near the shoreline. It was sunny and seemed quite warm, until you got out in the middle of the lake with the wind around 10 kts. It was still sunny, but not quite so warm anymore . Worked for us

Jim
Old 05-27-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Chickles...hope you're not bringing that shirt to Portugal....we have standards
Too bad, that shirt has been to every country I've been to in the past 5 years. It is my official sailing shirt.
Old 05-27-2008

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Spent the whole weekend on the boat, more or less. Friday, sailed to Hyannis from Newport (8 hrs) wind behind us, gorgeous day, favorable currents. Saturday, Hyannis to Nantucket. Monday, Nantucket to Newport. 10 hrs. 25 to 30 on the nose. But wouldn't have traded it for anything. Summer started early this year.

Last edited by CBinRI; 05-27-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

My family and I had a great weekend.

We left our home port (Mt. Sinai) Friday around noon and sailed north to Milford Ct. The distance is about 18 nm and we did it around 3 hours. The wind was 15-20 kts with higher gusts. I reefed the main and used a full 140 genoa. The boat was great.

In Milford we walked around the small town. It was appropriate to be there on Memorial day weekend because there is a village green with many war memorials.

Saturday we left Milford and headed east to explore the Thimble Islands. The wind was forecast to be NE at 10 kts, so we left with full sail. As we sailed the wind moved more north and got stronger. When we started having 20 kts on a regular basis I rolled the 140 up to a 100. When the wind hit 25 kts, and we were 2 nm from the Thimbles I rolled uo the rest of the headsail and we sailed a little while with just the main. When we got to the Thimbles I started the motor and dropped the main. We motored around and saw some beautiful islands, houses, and sites. After about an hour we left and sailed to Branford where we spent the night in a marina.

Sunday we left and sailed home. We had the nicest weather of the trip, consistent winds at 12 kts, with the occasional puff to 15 kts and the occasional lull to 10 kts.

The wind was too far south to allow us to sail directly to our home port, so we did two big tacks and made it in 5 hours.

Total distance sailed was about 60nm.

I am happy to say we didn't see any poorly operated boats. Most of the power boats were tied up at the docks, the weather wasn't great Friday and Saturday, and the price of fuel has them all depressed.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2008
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I am curious how many others have this feeling? Is it even worth going out on Memorial Day Weekend?

- CD

NOPE!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by therapy23; 05-27-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Spent all of last week and the weekend on the boat. Weather was dry, with a low ceiling. Never saw any other boats close by and it was so calm that the boat never even moved. Should be moving it out of the shed and launching sometime in the next couple of weeks.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse