SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Pirate Attacks on the Rise (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/43597-pirate-attacks-rise.html)

gyrfalcon 05-27-2008 04:24 PM

Pirate Attacks on the Rise

Thought some of the folks here would be interested in this.

Article: Pirate attacks around the world rise by 20%

"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." -- Daniel Webster

Stillraining 05-27-2008 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im not a pacifist..and believe deadly force is the best defence with pirates rocket propelled grenade equipped or not..most are untrained and bad shots anyway...

Shoot first ask questions later...I like the guy with the shot gun... a .50 sniper rifle would be a better first defence..or if you think that to big and unwieldy at least a BAR in 30.06 with a at least 10, 20 round clips.

With a 2000 yard effective range a fisherman in a panga getting one of thease across the bow wont bother you either...better safe then sorry...Pirates are not going to be all nicey ...n icy..especially to your wife...KILL em..Kill em all..

sailingdog 05-27-2008 06:29 PM

My friend just bought one of those for work... :) Very nice. He's an alphabet soup agency employee. :)

VASailor10 05-27-2008 07:05 PM

The problem is that many modern sailors are unarmed and as a result defenseless against pirates. International firearm laws are very strict and restrictive and could land a foreign mariner with a hefty fine, jail time, both, and maybe even get their vessel impounded. I would like to see some treaty signed that allows mariners under international law the opportunity to apply for a permit to carry firearms. If mariners start to be vigilant against pirates, pirates will think twice about ambushing cruisers.

-Spencer

Rockter 05-27-2008 07:25 PM

It is going to need force to stop them. The 50 calibre certainly implies force. One shot across the bow and the quarrel would be over, methinks.

jimmytc 05-27-2008 07:32 PM

I like this one better:

youtube.com/watch?v=siOEEOTjGqM

Stillraining 05-27-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 320889)
My friend just bought one of those for work... :) Very nice. He's an alphabet soup agency employee. :)

Reminds me of the movie "The Shooter"...The soup can shot across the draw...or maybe it was spaghetti Os

Boasun 05-27-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VASailor10 (Post 320906)
The problem is that many modern sailors are unarmed and as a result defenseless against pirates. International firearm laws are very strict and restrictive and could land a foreign mariner with a hefty fine, jail time, both, and maybe even get their vessel impounded. I would like to see some treaty signed that allows mariners under international law the opportunity to apply for a permit to carry firearms. If mariners start to be vigilant against pirates, pirates will think twice about ambushing cruisers.

-Spencer

Would be nice if we could carry a Ma duce (.50 cal MG) with hard mounts fore & aft Pending on where we want it. It has the range on anything that those pirates carry.:cool:

eMKay 05-27-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VASailor10 (Post 320906)

-Spencer

I would figure out a way to carry some weapons, I mean an AR-15 with an M203 breaks down into many small parts, and there are lots of places to hide things on boats, and if you are crafty the parts can be disguised as well. I don't see the need for more than that on a small boat, I think a few bursts and a grenade lobbed at a pirate may make them think twice.

tdw 05-28-2008 01:17 AM

Oh for f##cks sake, here we bloody go again. To begin with the report was in the UK Daily Telegraph and they are not exactly the most credible outfit in the publishing world.

Secondly, if you have a real look at the real stats you will find that virtually the entire increase has been in attacks on large merchant vessels and not small craft. In fact the last time I checked there had actually been a small decrease in the number of pirate attacks on small craft at sea and most of those attacks were raids on anchored boats not on boats on passage.

Quite frankly , a load of sensational nonsense, pandering to the Telegraph's moronic readership.