SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   A quick motoring sailboat??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/43601-quick-motoring-sailboat.html)

SiXeVeN 05-27-2008 07:00 PM

A quick motoring sailboat???

I know... I Know... It's another one of these what boat do I need questions:rolleyes: But I need some advice...

I live upriver from the Gulf o Mexico. About 15 miles. Obviously the gulf is a sailing paradise but the river is quite tight for a relaxing outing.

Here's my question. I currently have a 26x Macgregor which is great for a fast run to the gulf but sails like..... well crap... frankly.

I have taken a Island Packet out but even at WOT on the motor and cooperative wind/sail action is still takes 2+ hours to get out. Sometimes I don't have 4 hours round trip to spend getting to the ideal sailing grounds.

Is there a manufacturer/model that motors at a reasonable speed yet once under sail, is a quality sailing craft? Or, is the Macgregor compromise a necessary evil.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

sailingdog 05-27-2008 07:19 PM

Some of the sport trimarans can motor at 10-15 knots, but have decent sailing characteristics. :)

nolatom 05-27-2008 07:19 PM

You seem to have a level head, meaning you understand that a Mac-26 is a below-average powerboat, and a near-zero percent sailboat.

But your next idea is a very heavy sailboat that takes a gale to move it and is slow, whether under power or sail (and the Gulf in summer is light-air city).

Since I lack original ideas, I'll leave it to others to give you specifics, but there has to be an happy medium here, lightweight enough to power at 7 knots not 4, and a decent sailor once you finally get out of the bayou/channel/whatever?

Maybe a Ranger 27?? Or a Merit 25? I don't know, except that so far you've chosen boats way off the middle of the curve. Find something in the middle. But don't expect any decent sailboat to make over 7 knots under power (especially at today's fuel prices, but even when gas/diesel was cheap), it just ain't going to happen.

SailingDog through his answer above, reminds me I have limited myself to monohulls, which is my own tunnel-vision. But I like a fast, quick-tacking boat upwind, so that's where my dictionary starts and ends...

TrueBlue 05-27-2008 08:24 PM

I thought I had the perfect solution with my last boat, a tall-rig Nauticat 33 which sails close to hull speed, but can easily cruise or motorsail at 9 knots - efficiently, when no wind exists.

Unfortunately, my first mate's opinion differed on that selection.

tommyt 05-27-2008 08:34 PM

Its a sailboat, you want to sail more and motor less, MOVE!

sailingdog 05-27-2008 08:58 PM

Yeah, that heeling thing... :)

eMKay 05-27-2008 09:00 PM

Can't you keep your boat down the river or on the gulf?

mazzy 05-27-2008 09:07 PM

Or move to a decent sailing trailerable. Seaward, Com-Pac, etc. and tow it to the Gulf.

sailingdog 05-27-2008 09:22 PM

The sport trimarans I mentioned are usually trailerable too. :)

SEMIJim 05-27-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eMKay (Post 320942)
Can't you keep your boat down the river or on the gulf?

That was my thought. A two-hour trip in a boat with 6 kts hull speed would probably be a 15-20 minute trip by car.

Jim