Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Scotland diesel...

An oil producing nation is Scotland, part of the UK.
Today in Shetland, the cost of diesel reached a staggering $10.55 per US gal.
More than half of it is tax.
This is the most expensive diesel in the civilised world, and the islanders, closet to the North Sea reserves, have to pay it.
A lot of the North Sea oil is exported to those with very much cheaper diesel.
As of Nov 1, 2008, we will have to use the same stuff in out sailboat tanks, for heating and propulsion.

It will cost $1.31 to move my ship one mile in flat calm on the motor.

I hope the wind blows.

It will at election time, methinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rockter-

I think that same wind will be blowing here come November as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
I know this is not off topic forum, but...
I listened to our wonderful elected officials grill the oil guys last week The oil guys made sense (hey, they are paid a lot of money to be smart) and our congressmen/ladies just talked to the camera. The wonderful congresswoman from California, probably the dimmest bulb in Congress, said that the government would take the companies over. She actually used the Socialize word! Why do you Californians elect these people. Of course, I have a few problems with Michigans long term members as well...but

Now, imagine our congress running the energy sector. $20.00 a US Gallon will seem like a deal in 12 months. Fill the tank now, it may be the only way the boat can appreciate in the near term.
Old 05-27-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Rockter,

That's a heavy price to pay, to be sure. I guess you can be thankful that you have that efficient little diesel car and a sailboat. Imagine if you owned an express cruiser with twin 454s!! 15-20 GPH per engine at cruise!!

On an off-topic note, it seems ironic that here in the States the folks making the most noise about "global warming" are the same ones complaining the loudest about the rising cost of fuel. Including certain prominent members of our own Congress.

Fortunately most of us realize we can't have it both ways.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-28-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
At 20 GPH, say 16.6 USgal per hour, that will be $175 per hour.... close to $1000 every 6 hr.
Yesterday the truckers took their fuel protest to London streets.
The election is two years away though, but for this, and other reasons...mainly brutal taxes... this New labour government is very unpopular, and becoming more so.
Old 05-28-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
According to a German TV documentary last night, 25% of the fuel cost is due to financial institutions trading activities. However, the government has ensured that gas prices have increased faster than crude prices over the last 20 years.
Old 05-28-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens View Post
According to a German TV documentary last night, 25% of the fuel cost is due to financial institutions trading activities.
Idiens,

Interesting observation. There has been some debate over here as well as to whether the price of crude is being pushed by a "speculative bubble" as much as by normal supply/demand pressures. Time will tell, and I confess I won't shed any tears if the bubble bursts while a few dozen tankers are enroute with their over-priced cargo.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-28-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
The only upside to this (I don't own a car but my boat carries 140 gallons of diesel...) is that the cost of ship transport from China is erasing the savings from manufacturing there. There is talk of reopening some North American and European factories because paying "the locals" Western wages and then transporting it a short distance may soon be cheaper than having stuff made in a Chinese sweatshop only to ship it 12,000 NM.

Well, that would be ironic, wouldn't it? The only problem is the huge shortage of tool and die and trades people in the West after 15 years of "outsourcing" to Asia.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.